Diving Safety Officer Qualifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone who does not know what the reality of the industry is is acting as an expert of something they have very little knowledge of.
I don't know if you're referring to me or the person who told me that. My primary employment is as a scientist and I do dive for university projects. The person who told me that was a dive safety officer.

Unionization is just an act of a group of workers that have decided to band together under a single employment agreement in an industry or a business that is negotiated with the employer(s) of that group, as opposed to accepting the government definition of an employment agreement.

Unionization is not legally enforcable anywhere in the U.S. This may be different in other countries.

What is a UBS union anyway?
United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, the union that first lobbied for Commercial Diving legislation and, to the best of my limited knowledge, still represents a large number of commercial divers.

I don't know if you're referring to me or the person who told me that. My primary employment is as a scientist and I do dive for university projects. The perosn who told me that was a dive safety officer.
I don't know who told you that ... I do know that Harris knows better. Perhaps you misinterpreted the answer or asked a somewhat different question?
United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, the union that first lobbied for Commercial Diving legislation and, to the best of my limited knowledge, still represents a large number of commercial divers.
The ocean (or Great Lakes) is not a closed shop, Carpenters and Joiners can not demand membership before you dive.

I get the impression that you are trying to sea-lawyer your way to a rationale that in fact does some violence to the the intended definitions and objectives. If you'd describe exactly the activity that you're interested in, who will be doing it, their credentials and under whose auspices the work will be done (funding source and grants administration office) I might be able to be of more help.

I don't know who told you that ... I do know that Harris knows better.
It wasn't Harris, it was before I moved to Michigan.

The ocean (or Great Lakes) is not a closed shop, Carpenters and Joiners can not demand membership before you dive.

I get the impression that you are trying to sea-lawyer your way to a rationale that in fact does some violence to the the intended definitions and objectives. If you'd describe exactly the activity that you're interested in, who will be doing it, their credentials and under whose auspices the work will be done (funding source and grants administration office) I might be able to be of more help.

I'm not looking to do anything, just trying to learn more about the rules. I'm skeptical of how the legislation regulating diving activity was formulated and skeptical of possible problems may occur should the AAUS and other scientific diving organizations fail to maintain a sufficient safety record to keep the exemption intact.

It wasn't Harris, it was before I moved to Michigan.
Please PM with who it was, perhaps that will help.
I'm not looking to do anything, just trying to learn more about the rules.
Go to www.aaus.org, everything you need to know is there. Anything that isn't clear after you've read it can be easily answered by Harris, or me, or many others.
I'm skeptical of how the legislation regulating diving activity was formulated
There was no legislation, it was all part of a rule making process. If you have any specific questions, I was there for all of it and I will be happy to answer any questions.
and skeptical of possible problems may occur should the AAUS and other scientific diving organizations fail to maintain a sufficient safety record to keep the exemption intact.
Skeptical of what? And what other organizations are you refering to?

Yes, the maintenance of our outstanding safety record will be critical if we have to fend off another attempt at governmental regulation.

Back
Top Bottom