Diving / Period / No tampons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everybody! I'll discuss all of your suggestions with my cousin. I know that the most obvious one (taking pills as if she were on birth control) is not feasible, or at least not recommended, owing to something related to the operation she underwent and the condition which led to it. As to the hysterectomy, it sounds like something which might work, though I don't know whether she'd be willing to do so in spite of the fact that she already knows she won't have any more children (something which has already been impossible for the last fifteen years). A couple of years ago we lost a cousin we shared because of a minor operation on a Thursday after which he expected to be back in the office on Monday, and we've often discussed that no surgery can be considered minor. And with her medical history, she might have some extra problem. Taking into account that the reason for the operation would be leisure (diving), and not health, I don't think she'd choose to run the risk (at least, that's what I'd say if I were her).

Incredible as it seems, drysuits hadn't crossed our minds. Maybe because I'm a beginner too (less than her), so much so that I haven't even started buying my own equipment. We've always rented it, and it's always been wetsuits for us. But it's likely to be the easiest solution in the long run.

Meanwhile, we'll have a look at those brands of period swimsuits. If they are really meant to be used in the water, that should be enough.

By the way, we weren't thinking of sharks. We know that's not a problem!

Once again, thanks for being so kind and helpful!

I agree that a hysterectomy would be a drastic remedy if the only problem were unpredictable periods that complicated diving. But as already pointed out, that might not be the only problem it would solve. Plus, we have people on this board who've had major surgery to close a PFO when the only problem it was causing could also be solved by giving up diving, so I'm certainly not going to judge a woman who chooses surgery in this case.

If your cousin tries the period swimsuits and is willing to share, I'd love to hear her thoughts. I'm willing to bet that they'll at least adequately contain any blood, especially if paired with a wetsuit, that no one will notice anything.

Since your cousin hasn't been or avoids swimming for the past 15 years because of period issues and/or has pain associated with the problem, a reasonable argument can be made to have a partial hysterectomy (leaving the ovaries) or a full hysterectomy (taking it all). At age 45, the ovaries are powering down the production of estrogen, and by leaving the ovaries intact, she can ease into menopause while the estrogen wanes. While tragedies happen during surgery, fear of surgery should not influence the decision. Anesthesia has more side effects and a higher risk of death more than the surgery itself.

Good luck to her!

I have friends on birth control that have no periods ever. Not that I think that’s a proper way to manage hormones, that may be an option for her?
Aren’t you a guy?

Aren’t you a guy?
Last I checked.

Am I not allowed female friends?

Am I supposed to not ask my friends about their female problems?

Perhaps 20 years as a commercial diver and liveaboard owner there isn’t much I haven’t seen related to diving.

The tampon restriction puzzles me. I understand your circumspection in discussing details but I wonder if it is a physical restriction or the concern for infection.

If infection is the concern it might be acceptable for the very short tern use needed for a dive. If it is a physical barrier, prehaps a smaller size, one more typically used for lighter days?

Hysterectomies can damage surrounding ligaments and increase the risk of pelvic floor prolapse, along with other complications. Uterine ablation surgeries are far less invasive, less likely to damage adjacent organs and is a common outpatient surgery. A snug wetsuit with booties can hide the crimson tide until getting back to lodging with a good shower head, preferably handheld to clean the undercarriage:wink:

I'm going to agree with the above.

Either some form of medical intervention to make her regular/ stop her periods or if she doesn't like that a trilam drysuit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom