Diving / Period / No tampons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Incredible as it seems, drysuits hadn't crossed our minds. Maybe because I'm a beginner too (less than her), so much so that I haven't even started buying my own equipment. We've always rented it, and it's always been wetsuits for us. But it's likely to be the easiest solution in the long run.
I don't know where do you live, but in cold countries it is completely normal that OWD classes are run together with dry suit classes because it is not possible to dive wet suits here either during a summer. Rental dry suits are common here, too.

Dry suit is definitely not a tool just for advanced divers and I think it can be the eaiset solution in this situation. If you want to try it first, go for vacation to Sweden for instance, get dry suit certified and enjoy world's top class wreck diving together with your cousin 😉

And if you figure out you like it, buy some 2nd hand dry suit or some cheaper model. For recreational warm water diving, a dry suit doesn't have to cost an arm and leg. Btw, it is much more comfortable experience compared to wet suits overal 😛

Can someone explain to me the period thing with sharks? If sharks can smell blood from miles away, why cant they smell a woman on her period? I know it's mixed with other fluid, but it's still blood.

And to the OP, while I snorkel and don't dive, I've found that I'm able to be in the water just find without any period stuff as long as I'm not on like day 1 or day 2 which is when I'm heaviest. I would just throw on dark board shorts and I'm fine. I think going the surgery angle is a bit extreme (imo) unless you have any problems. The BC pill technique may have some benefits but I would definitely recommend that she speak to her doctor.

Can someone explain to me the period thing with sharks? If sharks can smell blood from miles away, why cant they smell a woman on her period? I know it's mixed with other fluid, but it's still blood.
I don't think it's a matter of them being unable to smell it; rather, they can smell it so clearly they can tell it's not what they like to eat. Sharks rarely go for a second bite; the first one tells them we're not seals, and they're out. But I could be mistaken.

A while ago I read a book on sharks by an expert (I don't have the book and don't remember the title or the author's name), who agreed with you. He said that sharks are curious animals and if so inclined will bite in order to taste with their gums to determine what the creature is and possiblly if it can be a source of food. The trouble is, their teeth get in the way of their gums which leads to all those ghastly headlines you read in the papers or internet sources. Typically, if you taste good the shark will come back and rip the flesh off which usually is always fatal. So, being in menstruation or for that matter having a bleeding cut should not be cause for too much concern; you are not on the "buffet". If anything, since sharks have an excellent sense of smell, the blood will bring them in to look you over. Once in visual range and they like what they see they may take that exploratory bite. Usually, they don't and will move off for better hunting grounds. One thing the author warned about was swimming or scuba diving in waters where there's been fishing, especially with the dumping of chum. Sharks aren't terribly smart and you don't want them confusing you for an injured fish which is on their menu.

Generally, nurse, sand tigers, and reef sharks are for the most part docile. They're used to divers and will not attack unless provoked. The pelagic or deep water sharks (great whites, tigers, hammerheads, mako, bull, and blue) sharks to name a few are the ones to watch out for. If you see them head for the bottom if you can and stay there until they're gone. If a shark swims towards you keep your fins toward them and if they come within reach punch them in their gills. This is a sensitive area for them. Always keep your eye on the shark. They are fast swimmers and they may come in for a closer look. Never go to the surface, unless you have to, as this could be interpreted as an injured prey. The author says sharks have a personal space, their body length, that you don't want to come within it because that will be interpreted as an aggressive act. That includes the circle of distance surrounding the shark. Divers who inadvertently swam over a shark within that personal distance have been harrassed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom