Diving on the east coast of Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwcoberb

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all. We are unfamiliar with the central east coast of Florida. We are staying with relatives in Orlando and would like to dive a couple of days. Don't want to drive all day if we don't have to. Are the wrecks off of Daytona beach good diving? Does anyone have some suggestions for us. We are going the end of May. Thanks for any advice

I'd look to Palm Beach county vs Daytona area.

Has some of the best diving in the state.

If you are looking for some easier dives, look at West Palm (Jim Abernethy, Wetter the Better, Scuba Club of the Palm Beaches)

Also, Lantana/Boynton Beach - try Star Fish Enterprise

Jupiter to me is hands down the best; but it can be too much for new or rusty divers - Jupiter Dive center - also a little closer to Orlando, but do a serious assessment of your skils.

All the diving tends to be drift diving.

You should do a "Search" b/c this question gets asked quite frequently and you will get plenty of info and suggestions.

Sea Dog Diver in New Smyrna is a good operation, also, Jupiter Dive Center in Jupiter, and I like Underwater Explorer in Boynton. Starfish is an excellent operation as well, Craig takes care of his customers. The Palm Beaches area has close in reefs and of course the wrecks, so that area has a lot of operators.

Diving off New Smyrna Beach with Sea Dog can be darn good. The SS Mindanao is a great artificial reef dive, and compares favorably with some in North Carolina. As you would figure, Central Florida wreck diving will be less tropical than South Florida.

Orlando divers watch the weather. Our location allows us to go in different directions. If the ocean forecast is rough, check the Gulf. Diving for ancient shark teeth in Venice, FL is fun and could be rewarding. See my little photo.

Driving from Orlando, you can dive five days and get a different experience on each. Maybe you'll get to spend more time.

Have fun / Stu.

I had a business trip to Orlando a while back and hung out a few extra days so I could run down to Jupiter & dive. I had the great fortune of an invitation by fellow SBers to accompany them diving with JDC. I had a BLAST!!!! Not only was the diving, boat & crew great but the hospitality shown me by my hosts on that trip made it all the more memorable. Thanks again to Sandy, Martha & Mike!!!!

Or dive just a bit further south and hop a boat in the Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano Beach area. You can get four dives in there in one day. Reefs are closer, depths are generally shallower and there's lots to see.

In late May, the beaches around Ft Pierce should be clear enough to dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom