Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What airline? Just threw that into google flights and everything included CGK and UPG
Scoot flies direct SIN-UPG M-W-Th, and Lion and Barik fly direct UPG-SOQ daily.
I think it requires separate tickets.
You can also fly through Manado from SIN; again, SCOOT (M--F-Sa) plus Lion.

We avoid Jakarta, and prefer Makassar. You can fly SIN-UPG-SOQ or KUL-UPG-SOQ.
What is your issue with connecting though Jakarta - did you have a bad experience?

I found the new terminal 3 to be really quite nice and I had zero issues connecting through there both ways from Singapore (Singapore Airlines) to Sorong (Garuda). Just a long layover on the inbound leg - but the directly connected Anara hotel is nice and inexpensive to crash in for the day.

What is your issue with connecting though Jakarta - did you have a bad experience?

I found the new terminal 3 to be really quite nice and I had zero issues connecting through there both ways from Singapore (Singapore Airlines) to Sorong (Garuda). Just a long layover on the inbound leg - but the directly connected Anara hotel is nice and inexpensive to crash in for the day.
I found the airport and the city somewhat unpleasant. I much preferred Bali and the smaller towns elsewhere. Being there at Ramadan may not have helped.

I found the airport and the city somewhat unpleasant. I much preferred Bali and the smaller towns elsewhere. Being there at Ramadan may not have helped.
Thanks- I have not heard good things about the city so just stayed at the airport/hotel. I also heard that the other, older terminals and transiting between them is not pleasant. Were you in the new terminal 3 (I see it opened in 2016)?

Thanks- I have not heard good things about the city so just stayed at the airport/hotel. I also heard that the other, older terminals and transiting between them is not pleasant. Were you in the new terminal 3 (I see it opened in 2016)?
No, was there in 2008. Since then I've always gone through Singapore. Great city.

No, was there in 2008. Since then I've always gone through Singapore. Great city.
And an incredible airport as well including the attached Jewel. Going to venture out to see some of the sites while we overnight at Changi next year!

And an incredible airport as well including the attached Jewel. Going to venture out to see some of the sites while we overnight at Changi next year!
Been there three times now. Never boring.

I am a foreigner living in Jakarta and the city is just like any other Asia cities having lived in Malaysia and Singapore growing up.
It is relatively safe country with lots of development going around. But of course every city has it's dark or shady side just don't venture there if you are unsure.

Terminal 3 is the newest airport and yes the design might be flawed but it is still a comfortable airport for transit. There is train service from Terminal 3 to Terminal 2 (vice versa) which is free and takes about 3 minutes or so. However there are no train transits between Terminal 3 and 2 to Terminal 1 but there is a shuttle bus service.

There is a hotel connected to Terminal 3 but not Terminal 2 and other options within a 5km radius of the airport area such as : Fairfield (by Marriott), FM7, Zest, and also SwissBel hotel if not mistaken. So if you need an overnight stay the above are the ones you can consider. I would not recommend staying in the city unless you have a layover of a couple days.

As for reliability, whenever we travel to Sorong from Jakarta we usually go with the national carrier which is Garuda Airlines. Not only they offer free sports equipment allocation they are comparatively more reliable than Batik Air or other airlines. But being said that, we have travel with Batik to Sorong from Jakarta and there were no major issues we encountered.
You can transit Bali, Makassar or Manado but timing and frequency may not be in your favour. It depends on your check in time to your LOB or pickup from Sorong harbour to your destination. Therefore the redeye flight is a good option if you do not wish to arrive Sorong earlier a day. My advise is that : transit Jakarta in any cases there are other options to get to Sorong from Jakarta compare to that if you are at a smaller city such as Makassar or Manado which may not have daily flights to Sorong.

Sorong is not a big city therefore you will not be expecting Four Seasons of the Ritz type of hotel. SwissBel seems to be the most preferred - clean and in the vicinity of eateries or shops. Last year when we were there, Aston Hotel was newly opened. That might be a good choice and when I checked the price it was cheaper than SwissBel perhaps it might be due to new opening prices. Other hotels like Vega or RedDoors are cheaper and may not be as comfy as the above mentioned hotels in Sorong.

Hope the information helps!
J

My spouse and I just booked a Liveaboard in Raja Ampat for the end of 2025. Does anyone have experience getting there from the US? Specifically from the East coast? All I know is we need to ultimately get to Sorong to catch the boat.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Myanna

Check this post, lots of good info about getting to Indonesia from the East Coast. Getting to Bali from the East Coast of the US

What US airport are you flying out of?

Been there three times now. Never boring.

Such a great airport and city!!

I have probably been through Singapore well over 200+times and it still never gets old and don't even get me started on the food scene... all I can say is just wow!!!

Back
Top Bottom