Diving off Kona in February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

forloveoftravel

Registered
Reaction score
How is the diving off the Kona coast in late February to early March? Can I expect to see the famed humpback whales and/or dolphins during surface intervals? Is the vis as good in the winter as in the summer? Thanks in advance for any helpful info you can provide :eek:)

I am not much help. I went to Kona in August of last year so different season BUT if you get a chance to do a night manta ray dive DO IT!

Very likely you will see them.
One February a few years back, I was even lucky enough to see a humpback swim by at about 80 feet !!

Yes, you will likely see humpbacks as you travel by boat from site to site. Dolphins are here year-round. There are many great dive days in Feb and March...however, there can be wind and swells. Luckily there are quite a few sites protected from the winter swell...Kaiwi, Suck 'em Up, Lone Tree Arch, Freeze Face...sometimes Kaloko. The captain and crew will pick sites that are best for the day. After all, they want to dive the best place too. Vis should be fine at around 70-100 unless something weird is going on. Have fun!

Thanks Cuddlefish! You made my day . . . that is sooooo what I wanted to hear :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom