Diving North Shore Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcus8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

We'll be making our second trip to Kauai in October '22. Will definitely do Niihau again. But I'm curious about diving the North Shore. I'm aware most diving is done around Poipu but that is not convenient for us given we are in Princeville. I have heard amazing things about Tunnels, though I understand the difficulty of getting there, reservations, etc.... Is this still a great spot to dive given recent flooding over the past few years? Any comments about what it takes to dive there? Any other sites on north shore worth checking out?

Thank you,
Mark

Aloha Mark!

Generally speaking at least, Tunnels is the only spot that diving is being done in terms of tours on the north shore. If you were to track down an experienced guide you may get very lucky and be able to dive one or two other spots from shore. The season for the Tunnels dive has only just started and I have yet to hear a report. The reality is that by October the season is generally over unless you find a rare break in the large north swells of fall. Many companies certainly offer afternoon dives both from the boats and Koloa Landing (which is a simply amazing shore / critter dive) which will likely be your only options. On the east side there "may" be an opportunity to dive a shore dive from Ahukini near the airport but I'm not sure that is open to diving anymore. I can check into it as the fall approaches. You may also find that Niihau is unavailable in October as again the north swells will have started. Another option that would require some research and planning would be (weather permitting) a charter to South Point at Niihau which can be thrilling. October is a challenging time potentially for divers staying on the north shore without long drives south. Sorry to not have a more encouraging reply - but I hope with this and other responses you'll be able to start planning well in advance. As you continue to plan your Kauai trip please by all means feel free to contact me if there is anything I can help with.
Have a wonderful week and congratulations on your upcoming trip back to the island.
A

I appreciate the insights. Many thanks. We'll cross our fingers for light swells.

Mark

Aloha Mark!

Generally speaking at least, Tunnels is the only spot that diving is being done in terms of tours on the north shore. If you were to track down an experienced guide you may get very lucky and be able to dive one or two other spots from shore. The season for the Tunnels dive has only just started and I have yet to hear a report. The reality is that by October the season is generally over unless you find a rare break in the large north swells of fall. Many companies certainly offer afternoon dives both from the boats and Koloa Landing (which is a simply amazing shore / critter dive) which will likely be your only options. On the east side there "may" be an opportunity to dive a shore dive from Ahukini near the airport but I'm not sure that is open to diving anymore. I can check into it as the fall approaches. You may also find that Niihau is unavailable in October as again the north swells will have started. Another option that would require some research and planning would be (weather permitting) a charter to South Point at Niihau which can be thrilling. October is a challenging time potentially for divers staying on the north shore without long drives south. Sorry to not have a more encouraging reply - but I hope with this and other responses you'll be able to start planning well in advance. As you continue to plan your Kauai trip please by all means feel free to contact me if there is anything I can help with.
Have a wonderful week and congratulations on your upcoming trip back to the island.
A

Ah, one more question. Where is the nearest spot to rent tanks/weights for diving north shore while staying in Princeville?

Ah, one more question. Where is the nearest spot to rent tanks/weights for diving north shore while staying in Princeville?
That's the tricky part (or has been in past). There aren't any dive shops on the north shore and the last shop on the east side is now closed. You'd have to rent from Poipu on the south shore unless you can get someone to meet you up there with rental tanks. I'm not sure which companies will be diving Tunnels just yet - other than Fathom Five and I imagine Malama Na Apapa. I'll send out some messages to see if anyone else may be doing Tunnels this summer and may consider tank rentals. Due to the sometimes advanced nature of Tunnels I do however know that companies don't usually want to rent gear up there for those without a guide. Happy to give it a look though for ya.
Cheers
A

My goodness, that seems incredible, even in Kapaa? Nothing? Wow. OK, thanks again for your help.

That's the tricky part (or has been in past). There aren't any dive shops on the north shore and the last shop on the east side is now closed. You'd have to rent from Poipu on the south shore unless you can get someone to meet you up there with rental tanks. I'm not sure which companies will be diving Tunnels just yet - other than Fathom Five and I imagine Malama Na Apapa. I'll send out some messages to see if anyone else may be doing Tunnels this summer and may consider tank rentals. Due to the sometimes advanced nature of Tunnels I do however know that companies don't usually want to rent gear up there for those without a guide. Happy to give it a look though for ya.
Cheers
A

Aloha Mark,
There are two dive ops that dive Ni'ihau year round (Explore Kauai Scuba and Bubbles Below). We (Explore Kauai Scuba) will dive Ni'ihau and Mana Crack(Na Pali Coast) year round, weather depending. If the north swell is up, but the wind is down, we'll dive South Point Ni'ihau. We have a new bigger boat coming very soon(still 6 pack) and we leave from the closest harbor(Kikiaola SBH) making a 1 hour crossing. Driving a little further is a lot easier than the further boat trip if conditions get sporty.

Also, Bubbles Below will cross to Niihau year round as well as another option. They leave from Port Allen.

If you have any questions I can help with, let me know. I also must mention that while only 2 ops run Ni'ihau year round, other companies will work with you sometimes on getting a Ni'ihau trip sometimes. Kaua'i is a great island with all dive shops just as great. My roots here on Kauai started at Fathom Five.

Aloha Mark,
There are two dive ops that dive Ni'ihau year round (Explore Kauai Scuba and Bubbles Below). We (Explore Kauai Scuba) will dive Ni'ihau and Mana Crack(Na Pali Coast) year round, weather depending. If the north swell is up, but the wind is down, we'll dive South Point Ni'ihau. We have a new bigger boat coming very soon(still 6 pack) and we leave from the closest harbor(Kikiaola SBH) making a 1 hour crossing. Driving a little further is a lot easier than the further boat trip if conditions get sporty.

Also, Bubbles Below will cross to Niihau year round as well as another option. They leave from Port Allen.

If you have any questions I can help with, let me know. I also must mention that while only 2 ops run Ni'ihau year round, other companies will work with you sometimes on getting a Ni'ihau trip sometimes. Kaua'i is a great island with all dive shops just as great. My roots here on Kauai started at Fathom Five.
Good to know. Thanks!

For what it's worth - Checking my old dive logs I found that my wife and I dove at Tunnels mid September of 2002. If there was a reservation required back then we were ignorant. We rented tanks and weights somewhere close to Kapa'a I think. I remember a shallow surface swim over the reef trying to find a way through the nooks and crannies then it opened up and dropped off. I wrote, "Lava Tubes, caves, overhangs, arches, triggerfish, sandy areas. Saw large school of Barracuda! Sunny warm, slight surge."

Thanks Ted. Looks like no reservation is necessary as it turns out, though parking is limited. Thanks for your report, it could be quite helpful. Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom