Diving near Key Largo ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I know its a long time in advance but it'll give me something to look forward too as im currently watching rain lash down and bits of tree blow past my window...

Im in florida roughly this time next year for 3 weeks, 1 week of that is spent in key large. Due to travelling and flying i reackon i have maybe 4 days of diving possible.

Can anyone recommend any "must do" dives from key largo area and any operators people would recommend using (or ones to avoid?). Ideally id like them leaving from Largo itself to avoid travelling but if its really worth a longer drive for the id try it.

My primary interest is wrecks although i wouldnt mind seeing some coral as ive never seen it before. I'll be certified to 40m or deeper with decompression if needed or makes a difference to the dives.

Any night dives worth doing?

Boat dives first choice as not a huge fan of shore dives.

So come on... Fill my 4 days for me :)

If you're in the key largo area, and you take a boat, there are many good dive sites. If you're looking for a shallow dive, city of washington is guaranteed great sea life (nurse sharks, barracuda, and lots more), and in about 25-30 ft of water.
If you're looking for some wreck diving that is a deeper dive, I suggest the Duane. It's about 130' to the sand and has great life on it also.
I can give you other sites too, but those two are probably my favorite for the types of dives they are.
I generally take my students out of Captain Slate's but there are many good operators in key largo. Amy's Amoray Dive Center also has a hotel right there, kind of a resort that might be worth looking into.
As a side note, a good place to eat while you're there is Hobo's. Right by Amy's I believe, but everyone I know loves that place.

Spiegel Grove is also a good wreck to dive. Can be some strong currents there at times, but a huge wreck. Sits in around 130 ft of water to the sand. Haven't been there in about a year, there wasn't too much life on it yet when I went there. Did it as a night dive then. Hopefully there's more life on it now, but even if not, still a really cool dive as there's so much of the boat to see.

Here's a nice list of the major sites, complete with reader reviews and photos. Be sure to post your trip in the Private Trips section a few weeks before you're planning to be here, and you may find some ready-made dive buddies on the boat with you.

I tend to use either Island Ventures or Silent World, both in Key Largo. I've had great experience with both of them.

You might want to look through the Private Trips threads for similar discussions. There are lots of great sites and many good operators in the Keys. Many of the operators do a wreck/reef combination - a deeper wreck, then a shallow reef as the second dive. Most of the dives are relatively shallow, but, as scubajenn has said above, there are some deeper wreck dives that are really nice - good viz, relatively mild currents, warm water.

http://www.conchdivers.com/keys/keysdivesites.htm

Hope to see you then. Good luck and safe ascents,
Grier

Great URL thanks - gives me more info than i could find elsewhere.

The Duane looks to be a must-do dive amongst others it seems.
95% of all my diving is in the UK so im fairly used to strong currents (along with 7m spring tides etc) and low vis.

Just looking around and the Amoray dive shop is a BSAC school as well, i may well opt for those purely because it'll be someone who wont look at my qualification book with a dazed confused look than ask me what does it mean :)

Accomodation and flights etc are already booked but its a long way off - i may resurrect this thread nearer the time (or start another one).

One final question, do these outfits tend to accept a lone diver that comes without a buddy or do they expect you to come in pairs ? Out of the 4 of us going im the only diver.

Thanks for the replies both.

String to answer your question you can come alone and the DM will pair you up with somebody. My advise try to get a buddy tru here and you won't take the risk of diving with someone who has not gone diving in a long time this I have notice is hit or miss and sometimes ends up being dangerous especially when your 130 ft. the people on the board are active divers. enjoy and hey maybe if schedule permitts i'll be your dive buddy we can have fish and chips afterwards keys style.

Reviving this thread as i now know the exact dates im free to dive in the keys (im in the keys 8th - 13th july). 3 days possibly 4 diving if shuttle launch is postponed.

Looking at the largo area on maps there are literally dozens of dive shops near me (im staying at MM 97) which poses a problem with (i) who to go with but (ii) ive got some sites i definately want to see, i definately want to do the speigel or duane, both if at all possible, i definately want to see some sort of coral reef. Is there any way of finding out who does these sites on what days or is it a case of turn up and hope? Id hate to miss those. Also do most do night dives? Am i looking at 2 or 3 dives a day down there?

Thanks to the airline being the first ive ever seen NOT to place a weight limit on dive kit (i can take "1 full set of kit" free so im leaving just weights and tanks at home) i'll have a full set of kit (admittedly with SPG in metric) so wont need to hire anything except tanks and weights.

Its a long shot but the week before i have 2 days spare in orlando- i take it theres no nearby diving around that area?

I do not (yet) know what it is like to dive with them, but Rainbow Reef has a good website with an interactive dive site map showing photos, descriptions, and comments about lots of wrecks and reefs.

In Key Largo, I dove with BlueWater Divers. It's really close to where you're staying. Pretty good boat, but I would suggest calling ahead, of course. Also, if you're a bit flexible, and like wrecks, I would suggest taking a day to dive out of Marathon. The Thunderbolt is a great wreck. I dove with Captain Morgan, and would definitely do it again.

As to Orlando, there's some really nice springs a couple of hours north, near Ocala. Blue Grotto, Devil's Den, and Paradise Springs. All 3 are very different. If you want more specific information about those, PM me. I've been to each of them a few times.

Mike

String:
Reviving this thread as i now know the exact dates im free to dive in the keys (im in the keys 8th - 13th july). 3 days possibly 4 diving if shuttle launch is postponed.

Looking at the largo area on maps there are literally dozens of dive shops near me (im staying at MM 97) which poses a problem with (i) who to go with but (ii) ive got some sites i definately want to see, i definately want to do the speigel or duane, both if at all possible, i definately want to see some sort of coral reef. Is there any way of finding out who does these sites on what days or is it a case of turn up and hope? Id hate to miss those. Also do most do night dives? Am i looking at 2 or 3 dives a day down there?

Thanks to the airline being the first ive ever seen NOT to place a weight limit on dive kit (i can take "1 full set of kit" free so im leaving just weights and tanks at home) i'll have a full set of kit (admittedly with SPG in metric) so wont need to hire anything except tanks and weights.

Its a long shot but the week before i have 2 days spare in orlando- i take it theres no nearby diving around that area?
If you have a DIN first stage, bring along a yoke converter, as most of the dive ops here have yoke valves on their tanks. I believe that Ocean Divers and Horizon Divers both offer scheduled trips to the wrecks. We plan our trips on a "first come, first served" basis. Book early to request the sites you want to visit. The Bibb, Duane, and Spiegel Grove are all outstanding deep wreck dives. Snapper Ledge, Molasses Reef, and French Reef make for excellent reef dives. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom