Diving near Key Largo ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for those ideas, ive got A-clamp capable kit/adaptors so that shouldnt really be a problem. I'll first off some emails to the operators to see if they schedule dives to certain sites or not as id hate to miss out on one of the deep wrecks and a reef. Taking a day out to dive elsewhere isnt really an option as im sharing a car with the rest of the family so cant drive somewhere all day and leave them stranded so its basically Largo/next key down for diving so i can be dropped off and picked up.

http://www.amoray.com/

Amy Slates Amoray Dive Resort is definately worth checking into. I spent a week with them and they were super.

Interesting one, they're a BSAC branch and school so i may not get funny looks and have to explain my qualification book to them which may save some effort (although to be honest ive never had an issue other than having to explain the qualification book to them).

Main issue in key largo seems to be too many choices all offering the same thing at the same price.

I like http://www.diveinflkeys.com
DiveIn is located at the Mandalay Resort, mm 98. It's a six-pack operation so there won't be crowds at the dive sites. And their boat can 40+mph so the more distant dives sites aren't an issue.

I can also highly recommend Divers City USA down in Tavernier.

String, my wife and I may be heading to Key Largo in July when you're there. She's pregnant, so I'm in need of a dive buddy. I'm hoping to dive on July 10th, 11th and 12th. PM me if you're interested in coordinating some dive plans.

Michael

Just going through the timetable and thats not impossible.
I assuve in large from orlando on Jul 7th and fly home July 14th. In reality with no-fly and so on means i can dive 8,9,10,11,12 and possibly morning of 13th. As im with others i cant dive all those days - i want to take 1 day out for a drive to key west and possibly one other to see local area but other than that im ok.
Potential shuttle launch could remove the 13th from that equation - if it is going ahead im going to risk a drive to KSC to see it that day.

Im about to email dive operators and see what they do on what days and so on to see what responses i get. Will PM you later if still interested.

While im here, another question for all - do charter boats there tend to limit dive time to a maximum or do they let you stay until you need to surface for air reasons? Heard a nightmare off one person that said he was limited to 30 min dives regardless of air with one operator.

String:
While im here, another question for all - do charter boats there tend to limit dive time to a maximum or do they let you stay until you need to surface for air reasons? Heard a nightmare off one person that said he was limited to 30 min dives regardless of air with one operator.

for the deeper wrecks you are limited by your NDL time - diving on Nitrox obviously helps....for most operators, on the shallow reef dives they do tend to limit the time, although it is usually 1 hr (as most boats do morning and afternoon dives so need to be back at a certain time)

String:
Just going through the timetable and thats not impossible.
I assuve in large from orlando on Jul 7th and fly home July 14th. In reality with no-fly and so on means i can dive 8,9,10,11,12 and possibly morning of 13th. As im with others i cant dive all those days - i want to take 1 day out for a drive to key west and possibly one other to see local area but other than that im ok.
Potential shuttle launch could remove the 13th from that equation - if it is going ahead im going to risk a drive to KSC to see it that day.

Im about to email dive operators and see what they do on what days and so on to see what responses i get. Will PM you later if still interested.

If you don't mind, please keep me posted with what you find out and with trying to coordinate.

My wife and I are trying to figure out where to stay, and I'm trying to figure out dive operator options. I pulled a number of names from other SB posts and from my local instructor who has been there a number of times. I'm trying to look into all of that now.

Michael

stu_in_fl:
for the deeper wrecks you are limited by your NDL time - diving on Nitrox obviously helps....for most operators, on the shallow reef dives they do tend to limit the time, although it is usually 1 hr (as most boats do morning and afternoon dives so need to be back at a certain time)

Im assuming from that they wont allow planned deco diving on a charter ?
I'll probably use nitrox if its not that expensive anyway.

MichaelP:- let me know if/when you get any details of operators to look at. im sending off emails currently. Im trying to get it sorted early as when i leave i wont have net access for 2 weeks prior to diving and GSM mobile phone coverage is by all accounts patchy there.

String:
Im assuming from that they wont allow planned deco diving on a charter ?
I'll probably use nitrox if its not that expensive anyway.

some boats allow deco diving, but usually only when everyone is doing it....

Nitrox is usually about a $5-10 upgrade over air.

Ocean Divers use a standard 32% (you can also rent their tanks if you're diving with an different operator that doesn't have Nitrox tanks), Divers City can do any custom mix....not sure about the others...for any of the operators you would need to tell them in advance that you need Nitrox and tell them what mix you want.

The Speigel Grove and Bibb both go down to 130ft (40m) but as they are both on their side there is no real benefit to going right down to the sand....
The Duane [which I think is the best wreck in the Keys] is upright and the superstructure is all basically above 100ft upto about 60ft...The Eagle is another really nice wreck around 100ft-ish (30m) if you get the chance to dive on it

My personal order of preference for the deep wrecks is:
Duane
Speigel
Eagle
Bibb

[Bibb and Duane are sister ships and are about 1 mile apart, but Duane sits upright and is shallower, Bibb on its side]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom