Diving near itchetucknee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I might be filming a short clip with a friend on the itchetucknee next saturday sometime, I was hoping I could go to one of the springs after and get in some short dives to test out some gear....but there is really only one spring to dive at, and it recquires cave cert., which I don't have. So, I'm wondering if there are any springs within a short drive, or lakes, or whatever, thare are a semi popular dive spot (would have atleast swimmers....something for the alligators to chase other than me) that I could drop by :) Some map from Itchetucknees site shows a spring called "devils den," but the Devils Den spring site map sucks, I honestly have no clue if it's near the Itch. or not. Pretty pitiful, consider I had one day of OW class inthe pool at Devils den (not in the spring :( ), and I live in between Gainesville and High Springs area. I'm sure I could pul out a map and find some other springs, but figured maybe someone on here has a good reccomendation for me. If not, then I might skip filming on the itch. and take a trip out to Devil's Den (the one that I know allows diving without a cave cert.) or Manatee Springs or something.

Thanks. I did search, but if there is a thread with this info that I should know about, please point me to it!

There's a lot of springs nearby including Ginnie Springs, Troy Springs, Royal, Blue Grotto, and others.

The clearest springs in the area right now (as of last weekend) are probably Ginnie and Troy !
We were in Troy on Monday and the vis was pretty good....
There was some loose stuff kicked down by the swimmers but all in all , very nice viz.
Ginnie is always clear !
Peacock has some algae problems right now so it's kind of yucky !
Now Madison ... (wowza)
IT'S REALLY CLEAR !!!!

Again , Ginnie and Troy would be your best bets.
Oh , Little River too (in the cavern)

Thanks!
Jean

JahJahwarrior:
I might be filming a short clip with a friend on the itchetucknee next saturday sometime, I was hoping I could go to one of the springs after and get in some short dives to test out some gear....but there is really only one spring to dive at, and it recquires cave cert., which I don't have. So, I'm wondering if there are any springs within a short drive, or lakes, or whatever, thare are a semi popular dive spot (would have atleast swimmers....something for the alligators to chase other than me) that I could drop by :) Some map from Itchetucknees site shows a spring called "devils den," but the Devils Den spring site map sucks, I honestly have no clue if it's near the Itch. or not. Pretty pitiful, consider I had one day of OW class inthe pool at Devils den (not in the spring :( ), and I live in between Gainesville and High Springs area. I'm sure I could pul out a map and find some other springs, but figured maybe someone on here has a good reccomendation for me. If not, then I might skip filming on the itch. and take a trip out to Devil's Den (the one that I know allows diving without a cave cert.) or Manatee Springs or something.

Thanks. I did search, but if there is a thread with this info that I should know about, please point me to it!
If you dive in florida, you should own a copy of Ned Deloches Underwater Guide to Florida. But I second the others. Troy or Royal would be your best bets, although Devils Den makes for a great effect.

Do you know if there is a map that has even some simple streets drawn on it, with all of the springs you can dive in NC Florida on it? I'm geographically challenged (bad at map reading) and it's hard for me to look at location maps of sevearl different springs and try to see where they are compared to one another. :) Something out int he High Springs/Alachua area is good. Pitiful isn't it, lived here all my life and I have no clue where Ginnie Springs is :)

JahJahwarrior:
Do you know if there is a map that has even some simple streets drawn on it, with all of the springs you can dive in NC Florida on it? I'm geographically challenged (bad at map reading) and it's hard for me to look at location maps of sevearl different springs and try to see where they are compared to one another. :) Something out int he High Springs/Alachua area is good. Pitiful isn't it, lived here all my life and I have no clue where Ginnie Springs is :)

I can get you a driving map to the springs up in this area...
Let me know , and I can send you a copy...
OR I can try to scan the darn thing and send it to you by e-mail !!!

And YES , it has roads marked on it...
I've used it to get to Madison Blue by the back roads and it really works!

Thanks!

Jeano Beano
AKA Retired (SEMI) Tank Monkey :D

Woah--just looked at prices for all the springs open for diving in my area, all of them want something like $10 general admission plus $25-$35 to actually dive!! Holy crap!! I need a CHEAP place to dive! Something an hours drive from Gainesville Florida, that won't cost much to get into. Please, enlighten me! I'd love to go dive some of these places, but I just want one dive, maybe 45 minutes, to test out some gear. I'd have to work two weeks to afford the entrance fee to these springs! (I'm a student and work roughly 5-8 hours a week, depending on my schoolwork load, so I make maybe enough in one week to get into the place, but not always enought o cover gas and airfills)

Troy and Royal cost $10 to dive.

Yeah, somehow I missed those two earlier, I'm looking at Troy right now. :) I'm also looking at Manatee. Just got to figure out which one is closer. Not sure how I missed those a minute ago.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom