Diving Maui In March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tax Dude:
Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd tack onto the end of this one since we'll be in Maui in March as well and could use some advice.

We're a newly-certified scuba family: my two sons are 14&16 and my wife and I are, um, more 'mature'. We all just did our OW at the beginning of this month in Cozumel and have logged less than 10 dives. We're looking to do a few days of diving while we're in Maui for the kids' March school break. From reading the posts in this section, I think I've got a pretty good idea of what people think of the various dive operations in the area. Lots of great info - thanks!

We're staying near Lahaina from the 9th to the 16th. Right now we're planning on doing about 3 or 4 mornings of diving and going with a couple of different operators (B&B, Extended Horizons?) Would we be best renting equipment from a shop in town for the whole time we're there or from the operator we're with for the day? We've only got our own snorkel gear: fins, masks, boots, snorkels. If you think a shop in town is best, any recommendations?

Any other advice you can give to a bunch of real newbies would be appreciated!

Your vacation sounds identical to the one we just took. Shoot me a pm for what we did which I thought worked out great.

Having just returned from a week of diving in Maui (and wow, does coming back to snowy Chicago suck), I have to say that I had nothing but a great experience diving with Lahaina Divers. Cattle boat? Perhaps...but also never more than 8 divers per DM. The crew was awesome, nothing short of spectacular - especially on a rather choppy morning at First Cathedrals. Granted, not everyone got to breathe their tanks dry on every dive, but they did a nice job grouping divers by experience levels and letting them maximize their air within the groups. I actually came close to NDL's. Granted, everyone is going to have an opinion or two, but I really liked what I saw through them.
Either way, being back on the mainland sucks. If anyone has any good suggestions on how to make money living in Maui, I'm all ears...

Snowy Chicago is right...had to shovel twice :(...As far as the weather goes, I can't wait to get home

Charlie99:
My relatively few dives on B&B were usually 45 or 50 minutes.

Their standard profile is 45 minutes at Molokini and 1 hour on the second site, depending on no deco and gas supply of course.

owner-operator boats like Mike Severns,

what happened to him?

Does Pauline run everything now?

catherine96821:
what happened to him?

Does Pauline run everything now?
Pauline has been running the show for a few (several?) years. Mike Severns is still on island, but doesn't have anything to do with the running of the dive op, other than the boat still gets parked overnight at his place. I don't know how many years ago he pulled out of the business. You could probably figure it out if you went back through the various books and articles and noted when Pauline went from Pauline Severns, to Pauline Fiene-Severns, to Pauline Fiene. :)

Hi Steve, we will be there from the 13th to the 20th. We are AOW certified but this will be our first time diving in Maui. We are looking for people to shore dive (particularly if they know their way around!) We're staying in Kihei.

Michelle

Back
Top Bottom