Diving Maui In March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nescubasteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, it is 7 degrees out and snowing, so I am thinking about our upcoming Maui vacation. I laughed after reading some of the other posts about Maui being addictive because our family went last March and quickly rescheduled for this March. Brief background - staying at Ka'anapali, both sons dive (15 and 13), wife doesn't, I am certified thru rescue and boys are working on AOW & JrAOW respectively.

Dove last year with B&B Scuba and Shaka Doug. Had a terrific time with both - great dives at Molokini and great shore dives out of South Maui. In fact, we had such a good time we rescheduled dives with both again this year.

However, by doing that, this will be my second trip to Maui without diving Lanai. Have heard many good things about the Cathedrals, etc.

So, all that said, here are my questions:

1. Think I should cancel one day with B&B and book Extended Horizons or Lahaina Divers or someone else for a trip to Lanai?

2. We will be there March 9 until March 18. Any ScubaBoard folks up for a shore dive or two? Would like to catch a night dive while I am there, maybe Airport Beach?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

As you know - B&B are great - so go out at least one day with them. If you want to do another boat dive and since you're staying in Kaanapali - go for a Lanai dive which will leave out of Lahaina anyway - we really enjoyed Cathedrals II - but we went with Lahaina Divers - they are a cattle boat which was an organized circus with strict bottom times - no matter how much air you had left. I had wanted to go with Extended Horizons but we needed room for 7 divers. So - sounds like you are on the right track - just stay away from Lahaina Divers unless you like being herded.

Jim

Hi,

Egad, it has been awhile since I have dived Maui and it looks like Lahaina divers has gone south. I wonder if the Maui Dive Shop has gone the same route?

That said, BandB and Ed Robinson are still the best of breed for dive shops, I think. As for Lanai and the Cathedrals, the answer is, to quote a modern sage, "Git 'er done!" They are wonderful dives.

And someday, give the Big Island a try--wonderful diving in a less populous venue.

joewr

I'm not sure Ed Robinson's could be called best-of-breed anymore, either... they seem to be resting on their laurels a bit.

I understand Mike Severns' is a quality op, too.

I dove with Maui Dive Shop on the Maka Koa to Lanai a few weeks ago with Mark. It's a bigger boat (24 divers in 3 groups) but they weren't terribly stingy on time. For the most part, it was air-based, with a bit of a time issue on the second dive (but it wasn't much sooner than no-deco limits).

Only downside: they leave from Maalea -- longer ride than Lahaina.

Our recent experiences with Ed Robinsons (3 charters) was top notch. We can't see diving with anyone else on the island at this point.

I have to agree about Lahaina Divers though (and it sadens me to do so). Our recent experience was totally different than the past, with them making far fewer allowances for experienced divers and babysitting far more than we've ever seen. We can't see booking with them again in the future, unless we want to dive on Christmas Day when everyone else is closed.

I've dived with Ed Robinsons on my last two trips to Maui and had a great experience both times (3 tank trips).. Great service and knowledgeable guides.
My experience has been equally good with Extended Horizons. Due to his expertise on Lanai diving, Erik is a fantastic captain and really knows the dive sites. I was treated like royalty on my last trip with them. They had a bunch of new divers and I was about the only one that had my own gear and a computer. We dove First Cathedral (by my request which they happily obliged) and another site - Sergeant Major. They did require everyone to come up at the same time from the first dive, but I was first in and had probably 15 minutes on the bottom before everyone got down. On the second dive, they allowed an hour of bottom time and let me stay with the second group since I still had time remaining and the first group that I was with was going up. Given a choice for Lanai, I'd go with Extended Horizons. It's a much shorter trip out of Lahaina (Mala Ramp) rather than Maalea or Kihei.

Well, Gang,

Things have changed since I last dove with ER, 3 years ago. Back then they used the "loose buddy" system. I.e., you could stay down as long as your air lasted and the dm had sufficient air. It was great.

My only gripe was the long drive to Kihei and the very early departure...but when the Trades came up around noon, the gripe seemed trivial...

I guess its time to head back to Maui and check the scene out personally.

Thanks for the updates!

joewr

joewr:
Well, Gang,

Things have changed since I last dove with ER, 3 years ago. Back then they used the "loose buddy" system. I.e., you could stay down as long as your air lasted and the dm had sufficient air. It was great.

My only gripe was the long drive to Kihei and the very early departure...but when the Trades came up around noon, the gripe seemed trivial...

I guess its time to head back to Maui and check the scene out personally.

Thanks for the updates!

joewr

What's changed then?? :confused: When we dove with ER two weeks ago, we stayed down until we ran out of air or ran out of NDL, whichever came first....but nobody ever outbreathed the DM! :blinking:

Hey,

Can you kamaainas get your stories straight? You are confusing this Mainlander no end!

joewr...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom