Diving Maui February 2010 - Need Recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad to hear that you told them about your experience and that they are trying to make it right.

We did a 2-tank charter with them this morning to Lanai and had a very good time. The dive times were a bit shorter than we've done in the past (45 min each dive), but we actually chose to come up a little early rather than being directed to. Tomorrow we head back to Kihei for a 3-tank charter with Ed Robinsons. :)

Glad to hear that you told them about your experience and that they are trying to make it right.

We did a 2-tank charter with them this morning to Lanai and had a very good time. The dive times were a bit shorter than we've done in the past (45 min each dive), but we actually chose to come up a little early rather than being directed to. Tomorrow we head back to Kihei for a 3-tank charter with Ed Robinsons. :)
Please post a review. I know you've written in the past about diving with them and have high praise for the company, but would still love to hear how the current conditions are and the sites you dived. I'll only have to live vicariously through everyone else for another 6 sleeps. :wink:

tia.

Todd.

Well, I'm about to wrap up a month in Maui waters. I did a lot of diving with B&B. I like 'em. They're my kind of folks. They'll do Nitrox, only $7 a tank. The thing is, you'll be with a guide. After a few dives and the DM gets comfortable with the divers, he's let individuals ascend alone, he watched you though. On a drift dive, this is great because even if one diver runs out of air, they can keep watching from the surface and not ruin other folk's dive. And yes, the DM still keeps looking up for you (ain't clear water grand?) Great guys, good time. They do different dives than the typical crater/turtletown if they get enough people interested. For instance, two days from now, they're doing the backside of Molokini, not their usual trip. When the second trip comes up as a request, I HIGHLY suggest the drift dive around Pu'u Olai (Red Hill) While the visibility is not great, and the coral not great, there are so many different critters to see. That and you usually end up off Little Beach (nude frisbee players!) Bring a light or rent one, because these folks are very early on the ramp, 0530, to beat the wind and waves so it's dark thirty still and kind of dark on the first dive. It's worth it. In the crater, being the first ones out sometimes pays huge benefits in viewing quality as the critters are just waking up.

Makena Coast Dive Charters aren't mentioned here. They're smaller, I like 'em. It's a good familiar feel to it. Smaller, easy to get them to do other sites as well.

Of course, there's MDS. I've no complaints with them, they're just more people.

On a lot of the operators, you can book the whole boat and do EXACTLY the dive you want. (got bucks?)

The cathedrals are a great dive, but they make for a longer day. They're a must do at least once.

I'm saving a Molokai drift dive for next trip, I hear that it too is a must do.

I personally don't care at all for staying up north. I try to stay right near the Kihei ramp because I'm here for the diving. I've had dives canceled when staying up north because of traffic problems and road being closed. (pound on the steering wheel time indeed!) Aside from Black Rock with the other 100 snorkelers, the shore snorkeling stinks up north this time of year. Down at Kihei, it's AWESOME. The snorkel spots are endless. Ahihi Bay reserve amazing. La Perouse Bay can be amazing in the early morning hours to go swim with the dolphins.

Lastly, diving aside (GASP!) I find the area down at Kihei more entertaining. More restaurants, heck, more everything.

We had to stay up north for a wedding. My wife agreed, we should've stayed down in Kihei and driven up for the wedding. Instead, I spent my early mornings making my way down to the ramp, but it was well worth the effort.

I tried to go out with NSE, they canceled the morning for swells, said they'd call back. They never did for a week and a half. I hope to go out with them, it sounds fun.

By the way, I'm sitting here looking out on the blue waters and reef in front of our condo. I can shore dive right out the front door. Did I mention that I love Kihei?

My vacation's almost over. Oh man will I miss this awesome place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom