Diving Maui February 2010 - Need Recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djmccarthy

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be staying in the Ka'anapali, Lahaina area and I am looking for recommendations on who to dive with and dive sights. I've read a lot positive things about Ed Robinsons, B&B Scuba but they are out of Kihea and it is about 50 minutes from where I'm staying. I Plan on utilizing one of them for the Molikini Crater Backwall dive. Also, I am trying to decide between Extended Horizons, Lahaina Divers, and Hawaiian Rafting Adventures for my dives to Lanai and possibly Molokai. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

For shore dives in the Lahaina/Kaanapali area check with Arty and Piper at Pacific Dive Pacific Dive, Maui Scuba Diving Center in Lahaina, Maui - that's kind of their specialty on that side of the island -

If you have a buddy and are comfortable heading out on your own I've listed some of my favorite dive sites in the Lahaina - Honolua area here: Aloha Shore Divers

For shore dives I'd definitely recommend Mala Wharf - while vis is not always the best there, the life and structure are beautiful - lots of turtles, good chance of Eagle rays, white tips, frog fish and squid.

A couple of other good shore dives in the area are Kaanapali Black Rock - which makes a good night dive (as does Mala wharf) and "Airport" beach (Ali'i Kahekili Nui 'Ahumanu Beach Park), which has some of the densest reef structure easily accesible from shore on the island (I've explored the reef for over 1 mile north of Airport beach and not reached the end of it :) )

If you need a dive buddy while on the island ask to see the "Buddy Book" at Pacific dive.

Have a great trip!

Aloha, Tim

Lahaina Divers is the only operator to have a regularly scheduled trip to Molokai (Tuesdays), and you need to not only be an advanced diver, but have experience boarding a live boat in potentially rough conditions.

We dive with Ed Robinson's out of Kihei for Molokini and S. Maui charters, though B&B and Mike Severns are highly recommended as well. We prefer Lahaina Divers for Lanai charters because of the comfort and stability of their big 46' Newton dive boats. We've done the crossing to Lanai in a 32' aluminum boat and would prefer never to repeat that experience. Yes, Lahaina Divers takes more divers and use AL72s, but we've never felt crowded on a Lanai charter since the boats have a lot of space and haven't had a dive shorter than 50 minutes in the past 3 years.

Lahaina Divers is the only operator to have a regularly scheduled trip to Molokai (Tuesdays), and you need to not only be an advanced diver, but have experience boarding a live boat in potentially rough conditions.

We dive with Ed Robinson's out of Kihei for Molokini and S. Maui charters, though B&B and Mike Severns are highly recommended as well. We prefer Lahaina Divers for Lanai charters because of the comfort and stability of their big 46' Newton dive boats. We've done the crossing to Lanai in a 32' aluminum boat and would prefer never to repeat that experience. Yes, Lahaina Divers takes more divers and use AL72s, but we've never felt crowded on a Lanai charter since the boats have a lot of space and haven't had a dive shorter than 50 minutes in the past 3 years.
Thanks. I have recently completed the 50+ dives and 6 specialties with PADI for my Master Scuba Diver designation. I live in NH and 40+ of those dives have been in New England waters, most from boat charters and have definitely had experience diving and boarding in rough conditions. Question is, is Molokai worth the effort? My other concern with Lahaina is the
AL72's. I like my bottom time and prefer steel 100's and with Nitrox if available. Right now I'm leaning toward Ed Robinson's for two days of diving but have not decided upon who to use for Lanai: Extended Horizons, Lahaina Divers, or Hawaiian Rafting Adventures. From speaking to the different dive shops, they told me to pretty much rule out Molokai. So I'm kind of leaning that way right now.

With regards to Lanai; steel 100's OR 36% are available with Extended Horizons. Not sure where to get the later in the former :)

Good info to have, probably the only ones in the state with steel 100's - nice :)

Lahaina Divers has AL100s and nitrox as well.....not steel, but at least they're 100s. :wink:

Sounds like Molokai wouldn't be a problem for you...but whether or not it's worth it is really going to be your call. We haven't done Molokai yet, but in talking with a friend who is a captain with LD (and who tells us the brutal truth), the Molokai dives are fantastic about 90% of the time, with hammerhead and other shark sightings. He says that sometimes the dives get ruined by air hogs since doing live boat dives they must dive as a group, coming up when the first person is down on air. Fortunately that doesn't happen often (according to him) since they try to screen very carefully.

As far as bottom time is concerned, you're going to find yourself with limits regardless of which operator you choose. Because the crossing to Lanai can be rough starting around noon, the surface interval between dives is usually shorter than an hour, thus limiting your bottom time due to NDLs. For S. Maui and Molokini charters, dives are usually limited to about an hour, again in order to get all diving done before the trades pick up and the water gets rough.

Also, if you've never been diving in Hawaii, you'll find that all dives are group dives with a DM leading. The amount of "supervision" will depend on who you go out with. Lahaina Divers typically cater to the vacation diver and beginners, doing a fabulous job with safety and supervision, but it can be a bit annoying to a diver used to being independent. They do try hard to group divers based on experience, and for the past 2 years we've always been part of a more advanced group, meaning less "supervision" and more simply group type diving. Extended Horizons are more often recommended for more experienced divers who require less supervision.

Since we dive with Ed Robinson's every year (multiple charters), they know us well and we find that diving with them is more like diving with friends who know the area.

If you are really wanting to get to Molokai, or want some Molokai like diving, check out North Shore Explorers too. They run out of Kahalui, so not near Kaanapali, but worth the drive. They don't run everyday, so set it up earlier rather than later if you want to go.

The major difference between North Shore Explorers and Lahaina Divers for Molokai is that Lahaina Divers has a scheduled charter (Tuesdays) that is actually going every Tuesday. There wouldn't be any guarantee with NSE to go.

Lahaina Divers has AL100s and nitrox as well.....not steel, but at least they're 100s. :wink:

Sounds like Molokai wouldn't be a problem for you...but whether or not it's worth it is really going to be your call. We haven't done Molokai yet, but in talking with a friend who is a captain with LD (and who tells us the brutal truth), the Molokai dives are fantastic about 90% of the time, with hammerhead and other shark sightings. He says that sometimes the dives get ruined by air hogs since doing live boat dives they must dive as a group, coming up when the first person is down on air. Fortunately that doesn't happen often (according to him) since they try to screen very carefully.

As far as bottom time is concerned, you're going to find yourself with limits regardless of which operator you choose. Because the crossing to Lanai can be rough starting around noon, the surface interval between dives is usually shorter than an hour, thus limiting your bottom time due to NDLs. For S. Maui and Molokini charters, dives are usually limited to about an hour, again in order to get all diving done before the trades pick up and the water gets rough.

Also, if you've never been diving in Hawaii, you'll find that all dives are group dives with a DM leading. The amount of "supervision" will depend on who you go out with. Lahaina Divers typically cater to the vacation diver and beginners, doing a fabulous job with safety and supervision, but it can be a bit annoying to a diver used to being independent. They do try hard to group divers based on experience, and for the past 2 years we've always been part of a more advanced group, meaning less "supervision" and more simply group type diving. Extended Horizons are more often recommended for more experienced divers who require less supervision.

Since we dive with Ed Robinson's every year (multiple charters), they know us well and we find that diving with them is more like diving with friends who know the area.
Thanks again. Will probably contact LD & Extended Horizons directly and make my decsion there. A majority of my diving looks to be with Ed Robinsons. The only remaining question is going to be Lanai or Molokai, which could determine who I go with as well. I wonder if LD has a specific day to Lanai where they try to take more advanced divers? Much appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom