Diving Maldives Season Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I worked in New Zealand on the west coast of the South Island (averaging 6 metres of rain/ year). I worked in a shop selling camping equipment, gortex stuff etc. Pretty much everyday I was asked if it would rain during the customers 3-4 day hike.

I would say "yes, without fail it will rain. When it does, you'll be prepared, and if not you'll be pleasantly surprised".

2011's Hulhangu season was very dry by normal standards. Thailand experienced flooding. You could argue that the rain that wasn't falling on us in the Maldives was moving east and hitting Thailand. When Australia has rain, New Zealand is dry and when Australia stays dry, we get our normal rain falling and the farmers are happy.

To predict this is pretty much impossible but looking back on the year, you can see some kind of pattern emerging.

Hi, I'm planning to go on the MV Orion in mid May. Due to the change in weather patterns (I'm from Melbourne and our usually hot Summer has become a very cold Summer with snow) what are the likelihood that May month will experience stormy weather which may make diving hazardous?

With all that in mind, I would say that yes- in mid-May, it will be stormy with potentially hazardous diving the outer reefs. If you get a break in the weather, I hope you're pleasantly surprised. But otherwise come prepared with adequate signalling devices- audible and visual.

Rain gear on a dive trip? Goodness yes ... without it, one might get wet ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just an umbrella will be enough...

Sipadiver I apologise I just checked the dates it was March that I was in Maldives with the flat seas. All through North/South Ari and North/ South Male.

I've been thinking about flying to the Maldives in July for a short dive holiday. I understand the visibility at that time of year might not be great, but it's the only time I can get off work to go diving before the end of the year. And I really want to see whale sharks, so there's that too...

However the itinerary that's been proposed for the liveaboard I'm looking into is: Day 1 Kurumba; Day 2 Bodu Hithi; Day 3 Kuramathi; Day 4 Maayathila; Day 5 Meerufenfushi / Hoholha Thila; Day 5 Dhiggiri; Day 6 Dhiggiri; Day 7 Kurumba; Day 8 Kurumba

Would that give me much chance of whale shark sightings in July? Or is it the wrong itinerary given the season?

Thanks for any advice :)

From my limited knowledge of liveaboards, but from looking at the proposed itinerary (locations) you'd be lucky to get whalesharks. Whalesharks do migrate of course and every so often they pop up in unexpected places. Potentiually 2 days in Dhiggiri area- you may do a crossing to the Ari Atoll for whalesharks at Maamigili

I've been thinking about flying to the Maldives in July for a short dive holiday. I understand the visibility at that time of year might not be great, but it's the only time I can get off work to go diving before the end of the year. And I really want to see whale sharks, so there's that too...

However the itinerary that's been proposed for the liveaboard I'm looking into is: Day 1 Kurumba; Day 2 Bodu Hithi; Day 3 Kuramathi; Day 4 Maayathila; Day 5 Meerufenfushi / Hoholha Thila; Day 5 Dhiggiri; Day 6 Dhiggiri; Day 7 Kurumba; Day 8 Kurumba

Would that give me much chance of whale shark sightings in July? Or is it the wrong itinerary given the season?

Thanks for any advice :)

First, no live aboard itinerary is written in stone.

If there are whale sharks in a certain part of Ari or wherever you are at the time the boat will get you to them. That is one of the beauties of being on a boat that can move around.

Our boat is down for June & July so I can't give you personal advice, but I have been around them in South Ari that time of year.

You also stand a pretty good chance of Mantas in North Male' that time of the year.

Team M/V Orion

Last edited:
Hi there... am planning a last minute trip to the Maldives in a couple of weeks (end of April). Never been before.

Looking for suggestions on which area in the Maldives to visit this time of year for best diving and possibly a recommendation on a 3-4* resort and dive center if you know of any?

Thanks in advance...
Kim

Maldives has a lot to offer in terms of different types of diving- big fish lovers generally have a good time.

Ari Atoll has many many resorts- for 3-4* I can recommend Diva (I think they might have actually changed the name of the hotel but a google search should still find it). Nothing wrong with the island and there is some very good diving to be had and the diving center is good- especially for experienced divers who can manage themselves.

In the north of the Ari I can recommend Maayafushi- this is an Italian resort but everyone speaks English and you get a smattering of other nationalities but be prepared for Italians at dinner time. Again the island is well situated for excellent diving and the team is good.

Finally I can start to recommend.... me! I ownLaamu Dive and Surf which is in Laamu Atoll- far to the south and far from any other divers. You can PM me or email info@laamudiveandsurf.com for details and rates etc. The associated hotel is Reveries Diving Village which you can find with Agoda.

Last edited:
As I mentioned in my dive report a few weeks back, Laamu Atoll was some of my favorite diving. Good luck with the new digs ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom