Diving Malaysia in January - Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gdubin

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone,

I am heading to Malaysia for a few weeks for work. During the first week of January, I should have about 4 days off, which I would obviously like to spend diving. I understand that there are monsoons in January and was wondering if anybody could give me the names of some areas that hopefully won't be hit hard during this time.

Also, I'd be really appreciative if anybody could give me some names of specific dive centers or liveaboards. It would be best if they were relatively quick to get to from KL.

Thanks,

Greg

U can consider Langkawi or east M'sia's Kota Kinabalu TARP... Sorry but have been to neither...

Unfortunately at this time the east coast (where the better and more popular dive spots are) of Peninsular Malaysia is experiencing Monsoon conditions so there's no diving there. The Kaleebso, a LOB ship comes to the east side during this time of year. You can check it out at Dive with Kaleebso!. I've not been myself though I am planning to. Your other possible dive destination is Pulau Payar which is nearby Pulau Langkawi. Someone posted a trip report sometime back http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/malaysia-singapore/282141-trip-report-pulau-payar-gets-big-thumbs-up.html.

Hi Greg - the Sabah/Borneo region of Malaysia does not get hit by Monsoons in the same way peninsular does and this would be a great time to head down to Sipadan to do some diving there. If you want something totally unusual have a look at Seaventures - they are a resort based about 15 minutes away from Sipadan (as are all of the resorts in that area - the land resorts are all based on the island of Mabul and Seaventures is a dive platform just opposite the island). If you are staying for four days that is the perfect package as one of the main packages is four days - you can apply for however many days diving you would like in Sipadan and you can also dive unlimited diving inlcuding night diving underneath the rig - the lift quite literally lowers you into the water for your dive. The dive site underneath the platform/rig is visited by all other resorts as part of their package as the diving there is fantastic - there is some fantastic macro there and in addition - schools of barracuda (not quite yet to match Sipadan of course!) and an increasing number of bumpheads. If you have a look at the facebook fan page that has more photographs and updates and customer comments and so on - you just need to search for Seaventures under fan pages. It is really easy to get to from KL as you fly in to Tawau direct from KL which I think about two hours and you then get a boat transfer across to the rig.

Hi Greg, Sabah is known as the 'Land Below the Wind' as it does not get hit by the North East Monsoons (which impact Peninsular Malaysia). The best conditions for diving in January can be found on the South West coast (Sipadan / Mabul) where you can choose to stay at a range of resorts. You can also go diving in Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park accessible from Kota Kinabalu (you can fly to KK from KL), there are some pretty coral reefs here and good variety of marine life (quite surprising as it's close to KK). There are > 20 dive sites in the Marine Park, I'd just recommend you choose a Dive Operator who will make the effort to go to the nicest dive sites on the day (based on weather / sea state). The only thing you need to be aware of for diving in TARP is that you start to get plankton blooms from mid Jan onwards (to end Feb) as part of the whale shark migration season. Hope this helps.

Hi Greg, Sipadan is an excellent choice but as you're going to need to fly anyway, give Phuket and the Similans some consideration too - also easily and reasonably accessible from KL with Air Asia and also very much in season (late October to April).... with 4 day liveaboards available (can recommend ColonaVI amongst others).
Hope this helps

Hi Greg

I live in Kota Kinabalu and work for one of the dive companies here. I am having a dry day in the office today and just saw your questions..As you see from previous posts ( re weather in West Malaysia & travel hassle to Sipandan/Mabul area ), if you only have a few days off, KK might be your best bet.

Our boat is probably one of the nicer dive boats ( with fully qualified skipper and dive crew ) with GPS marking all the dive sites around the 5 islands that form the marine park. We usually pick the best site of the day depending on divers' experience and site conditions. Believe me, none of our instructor/DM wants to do a ***** dive either...

Look us up on the internet : the company is called "Borneo Dream"( ok sorry the site wouldn't allow me to post URLs so I can't give the website to you here ). or you can email info@borneodream.com. We might not be the cheapest you will find here I have to be honest, but we do try to provide our customers the best service possible and the most fun. I am not a sales person so don't see this as some way of getting money out of your pocket! It's my honest recommendation!

Hope to see you soon!

Back
Top Bottom