Diving Lanai lookout 21 Dec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockjock3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anybody interested. Some dive buddies and I are going to go out to Lanai Lookout tomorrow morning. We will be at the parking lot by 0900. We are going to try and dive it, but we all know how the conditions there can be finicky. Looks like tomorrow will be the best chance we have had for a couple of weeks. These stinking trades have got to take a rest break. If your interested let me know so we will wait if your running late. I hope to get some video of the dive it the conditions permit.

Jay

Sorry more of you couldn't make it. VblueV, Ed and myself got 2 dives in at Lanai Lookout today. It was awesome. JJ was a little late so Ed and I had to go it alone, but with prior intel from VblueV it worked out with relatively little hardship. We did find a different way of getting out at the exit that was a exciting, but it all worked out. While Ed and I were standing at the exit point we noticed a tank coming down the chute and what do you know, it was VblueV.

VblueV aided us in our secend attempt and it only got better on the second dive. The viz was 80+ and there was little to know current or surge except at the entrance and exit point. VblueV even showed us the secret to making the exit easy. Eds first word when we got up were "that is easier than exiting at Sharks Cove". I would have to agree with him.

If Kayaking doesn't work out for next week we have already decided that the lookout will be our backup plan.

Thanks for a great day dive guys.

yeah.. smoothest exit conditions in a couple weeks..
low surf, calm east to SE winds.
(Wildcard.. no combat dive today =)

what's more.. we heard whale-song..
some higher-pitches the first dive..
and some low-tones during the second.

then a couple large octopus inked.. and all i did was look at 'em =/
i must be scary lookin' underwater o_0

rj3.. i can't really claim all that intel.. i got a lot of it from shorediving.com:
http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/Oahu/Lanai_Lookout/index.htm

agreed.. fantastic dives today..
maybe ed will not only get jetfins under the christmas tree..
but maybe a flashlight too =)

d002127.jpg

justleesa:
Looks like you guys had a great time. How is the walk down and up?

I don't think either walk is that bad. I had walked the entry and exit a couple of times before without gear to get a closer look at them. I will tell you this. The first dive for Ed and me that day was our first dive at the site and we swear that it only took us about half as long to get down there as it did before. I don't know, I guess it could have something with adrenaline making time seem to compress. :lol:

Yea it was a good dive, the walls are really cool!! I was a little apprehensive about doing a second dive till JJ showed up. The key to that dive is to know what you are doing and where you are doing it. Just knowing where the exit is may not be good enough. Jay and I found out the trick is knowing how to navigate the exit channel once you are in it.

JJ,
OK OK... I am not sure what I am getting for Christmas but I do have a light, just don't always bring it on all my day dives, I will in the future.

Back
Top Bottom