Diving knife - Weapon or not??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Newman:
Did you ever look at your dining table and kitchen drawers? Most knives are for cutting, not killing - and this is what you're most likely to use a dive knife for. That and prying, sawing or occasionally hammering and poking. The last thing on a diver's mind (unless he's a Navy Seal or some other form of combat diver) is using a knife as a weapon.

"Your body is your weapon" from Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins (1985)

well yeah, my previous statement about knives only meant for killing might have been directed only to combat knives, at the moment of the post i just didn't realize it.. sorry

Let's get this strait.....Guns and knives don't kill. People Kill.
I use my dive knive's for all kinds of things mentioned. I carry 2 all the time. I also use them to administer the Coue de Gras' on speared fish that need it, along with occassionally cleaning my catch. Knives are indespensible.

Man I miss the good old days when divers were real divers and proved it by having a machete strapped to their calves...

Tassie_Rohan:
Man I miss the good old days when divers were real divers and proved it by having a machete strapped to their calves...

bah... wimps

two calves, two machetes

H2Andy:
bah... wimps

two calves, two machetes

You forget the backup third fastened to the 'aqualung'...

...and the home made spear gun you would naturally be holding - back then them thar seas was dangerous…

Tassie_Rohan:
You forget the backup third fastened to the 'aqualung'...

...and the home made spear gun you would naturally be holding - back then them thar seas was dangerous…

Yup, back then a real diver wouldn't even carry a tank. He'd use his knife to cut open a passing dolphin and suck the air straight from its lungs.

A

evilbacon:
:D I have talked to alot of divers that tell me that a "dive knife" is not a weapon. But from what i know about knives (which is alot) is that they were designed souly (sic) to kill.

My dive knife (Victorinox steak knife, with the pointy end broken off) is a tool.

Divers who perhaps need to kill would perhaps carry something similar to the product below:

http://www.hkpro.com/peleven.htm

evilbacon:
:D I have talked to alot of divers that tell me that a "dive knife" is not a weapon. But from what i know about knives (which is alot) is that they were designed souly to kill.

You know "alot" about knives then? I beg to differ.

The percentage of knives designed solely to kill is vanishingly small. The design considerations that make a knife ideal for one purpose tend to lessen its utility for all others. Since most knives are multipurpose tools, the designs are a compromise. Even so-called combat knives are usually designed to be multipurpose knives, the Ka-Bar is an obvious example.

A knife that was actually designed solely to kill like the Fairbairn-Sykes below isn't going to fit in your pocket, open cans, pound in tent stakes, cut your steak, pry off a lid, saw through cord or any of the standard things we expect a knife to do.

A knife is a tool.
Sometimes the task is to kill and then the toll becomes a weapon.
If the primary task is to kill there are usually easier and better tools for that than knives.

A #2 pencil is a tool but can also be a weapon. Trust me, there are LOTS of easier to use, weapons but it CAN be used that way.

A dive knife is primarily a tool used to solve a problem underwater and the most common problem is entanglement of some kind.
I like to carry a knife and a pair of shears as there are situations where one is a lot better than the other.

If I carry only one cutting instrument underwater it is most likely to be the shears.
Unless the job is to kill something. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom