Diving Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Living in So. Florida I regularly dive in the upper and middle keys. If you are diving in Key Largo I'd recommend Captain Slate's Atlantis Dive Center. He has a good staff, knows the sites well, can accomodate special requests with advanced notice, and the crew is accomodating . If your in the middle keys ie: Tavenier then Keys Dive Center or Conch Republic are both good and I have used them both. Just know that "a few miles" in the keys is a longer drive than in the city because it's "keys time" there. It is approximately another 20 -25 minutes drive from the top of Key Largo to Tavenier with regular traffic.

Andrea

Where ever you dive, you have to check out the seafood at the "Squid Row" restaurant in Islamorada at least once during your visit. It's about halfway between Largo and Marathon...about 8 miles or so. It's worth the trip.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please refrain from repeating unsubstantiated information about specific operators. Unless you have first-hand knowledge regarding an operator, you may unwittingly be perpetuating hearsay.

Last edited:
It wasn't unsubstantiated. I worked at Silent World. The captain and instructor called me and told me about the incident. Since this post, I've had a few patrons email me to tell me that they were either at the dock or on the boat that broke down.

With that said...
Anyone can have hardships. How many times has Slates had an issue in his 3+ decades of operation? Crap happens. No one is immune. One thing remains unchanged, no one offers more technical diving in Key Largo than Silent World.

Where ever the information came from it is not correct. We do have one Island Hopper out of service at this time. One was out for one day for a coast guard inspection that all commercial boats have to get done each year.

In addition to the two island hoppers we also have a six pack vessel. We have boats out on this water as I write this enjoying a wonderful day in the waters of Key Largo.

As an additional note of clarification we have multiple captains here, not just one.

If you want to stay current on the days to day at Silent World and are on facebook consider joining our fan page which includes daily updates on dives and the local happenings of Key Largo.

Silent World Dive Center | Facebook

Chris,
Glad to hear that none of your boats sank, if I'm reading you correctly. (These internet threads can be troublesome at times. It must be a PITA addressing all these inaccurate rumors. But you can't just let them sit unanswered.) And one was out of service for just one day for a mandatory USCG inspection. (Ah, that damned government!) When will your current out-of-service boat be returned to service? (As I mentioned in another thread I'll be in K.L. in about two weeks looking for rides, hence the interest. Plus I'm sure many others are interested in this as well.) See you in about two weeks or so, hopefully.
Ef

nm :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom