Diving Kauai in Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lhhoback

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So of my husband and I are headed to Kauai the end of Jan for a convention, we decided to arrive a couple days early to enjoy a weekend full of diving. I've looked thru the past threads and it looks like for boat diving our best bets are with either Bubbles Below, Fathom Five, or Seasport.

Just wondering what sort of current recommendations Scubaboard members might have for us. We are leaning towards am and pm boat dives both days but it sounds like it might be good to add in a shore dive.

Thanks for your recommendations we are so excited to go to Hawaii and dive in a whole new ocean.

Thanks
Lari

I've dove with Seasport - not recently though - but do recommend them. Dive Sheraton Caverns if you want to see big turtles.

For a shore dive, Koloa Landing is fairly good. Tunnels will be likely blown out in Jan - if not Fathom Five guides there. (you want a guide for it...)

My wife and I have used both Seasport and Fathom Five. We much preferred Fathom Five and will go with them again when we are back in Kaua'i.

I ussually go with Sea Sport Divers, but Fathom Five is a great operation too. Either one of them is a good choice. As far as shore diving goes there isn't much of it around that time of year. Tunnels on the north side is no good in the winter months, and koloa landing is primarily used as a good area for training dives. It's shallow and calm, but not much to see. Boat diving is pretty much your only option. As mentioned before Sheraton Caverns is a great site, I have counted up to 20 turtles on one dive. There are planty of great sites around the island and all the operators generally dive the same sites.

I guess first of all it depends where you are staying. We stayed in Poipu last November. I dove all my dives with Bubbles Below out of Port Allen. It was probably a 20 minute drive which was fine, especially if you want to dive with a good dive op. I did about 10 dives, day trip to Niihau which was very good and by the way this is the only shop that will go there in the winter as I checked out the others and they didn't. Also dove the Napali coast and got a very nice tour at the same time. Most of the dives were with Linda the owner. She is very knowlegeable about the sea life as well as the lets say topography under the water.When I go back hopefully in 2012 thats where I will be diving. Hope that helps you out.

I did a scooter dive with richard from divers down under last week from koloa landing, and it was probably the most fun dive I have done yet. Left out of the landing after a basic course on how to use the scooter then out to sheraton caverns for a dive then back to the landing.

Does Richard rent out scooters? Cost? I own one, but it is too heavy to bring in my suitcase. Not looking for a DM lead dive just want to get out a little further than the newbies go.

Fathom Five, I believe, does rent scooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no got to take the trip they only have six of them i think, but well worth the trip just to have some one show you around, I knew where we were going because I skin dive the area as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom