Diving instructor faces court over death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i'm sure there could be a lot of things go wrong in an intro dive--over weighted, faulty bc, reg, panic diver-- but how is it that an instructor couldn't manage it? were there strong current? were they deeper than 10m?

would be curious to hear the instructor's defense.

According to this link the current wasn't strong.

Dive death hearing told of supervision failings - ABC Gold & Tweed Coasts - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

The Southport Magistrates Court heard it was a "calm day", with a "slight current in the water" and "average visibility" when 20-year-old Chinese exchange student Xia Dai drowned in April last year.

An earlier report (Dive death: instructor facing manslaughter charges) indicated Xia Dai was calling for help on the suface before disapearing and her body was recovered later. This implies to me she wasn't close enough to the instructor if it was a discover scuba (or her buddy if it wasn't).

Don't most instructors overweight their dsds and students? They have to sit comfortably on the bottom to do skills.
Secondly, most instructors don't usually service the shop regs. Someone else would have done that.
Thirdly, average visibility is what exactly to Wavebreak Island?

I know this case intimately, but won't disclose anything right now as it is still in court. The instructor facing the charges happens to be an outstanding instructor with heaps of experience. I think judging her is being cruel...you don't know her, you don't her experience level, and most of all, you don't know what really happened that day. Remember there are always two sides to every story.

I think judging her is being cruel...you don't know her, you don't her experience level, and most of all, you don't know what really happened that day. Remember there are always two sides to every story.
As a group the posters in this thread have done an admirable job of reserving judgment until further facts are out, as you can see:

I am not about to debate what happened, as that is not fair till all statements are heard in court.

I am assuming the allegations are true just for the purpose of hypothetical discussion.

would be curious to hear the instructor's defense.

Gotta remember that the prosecutors are building a case and what they are releasing to the media can be far far from the truth of what actually happened. They can "allege" to the nth degree often in attempts to "convict" their target prior to the trial.
The defense team is holding their cards to their chest until the trial.

"negligence" is likely to be involved IF the diver was overweighted, etc. as alleged.

Let's just you the Grand Jury assumption, for now, of "if unrefuted."

The case involves issues that are of the utmost concern to divers, and it is totally appropriate that they be discussed here.

I know this case intimately, but won't disclose anything right now as it is still in court. The instructor facing the charges happens to be an outstanding instructor with heaps of experience. I think judging her is being cruel...you don't know her, you don't her experience level, and most of all, you don't know what really happened that day. Remember there are always two sides to every story.

Bubbles,
I do not believe anyone has judged her at all. think you are being a tad to sensitive.
Maybe because you feel a personal connection with the instructor in question.
I made the decision to refrain from commenting on what little information was in the press. I also believe the other posters, who I respect their opinions and knowledge have also done the same thing and NOT engaged in any assumptions.

Please read the thread again. It does not judge her IMHO.
A would think that a the majority of the posters know, it is in court, and because of that fact, have restrained till all the information is public and judgement set down/

Last edited:
Don't most instructors overweight their dsds and students? They have to sit comfortably on the bottom to do skills.
No, I think it better if student are neutral and "do skills" up off the bottom.

Secondly, most instructors don't usually service the shop regs. Someone else would have done that.
Thirdly, average visibility is what exactly to Wavebreak Island?

No. Many, like myself, weight them properly and teach skills in proper horizontal position at neutral.

There are a vast number, however, who do overweight as practice. A rock is easier to keep track of, after all.............:shakehead:

I think the industry needs to be self regulated simply because of its world-wide popularity. Due to variances in mindsets and law procedure internationally it would be a disaster to have law dictate this kind of sport. But like previously mentioned, local contractors have an obligation to know their laws for the area, if the instructor was aware of the potential consequences and assumed them, then its their battle to fight. The old saying goes "ignorance of the law is not an excuse". Meaning its your job to know the law around yourself.
As for guilty or not, I can't guess, as I've 1 pool training session of diving expierence, so I don't have a place to say.

In the event of a death, is a charge of manslaughter mandatory or have I mis-interpreted?

Bubbles,
I do not believe anyone has judged her at all. think you are being a tad to sensitive.
Maybe because you feel a personal connection with the instructor in question.
I made the decision to refrain from commenting on what little information was in the press. I also believe the other posters, who I respect their opinions and knowledge have also done the same thing and NOT engaged in any assumptions.

Please read the thread again. It does not judge her IMHO.
A would think that a the majority of the posters know, it is in court, and because of that fact, have restrained till all the information is public and judgement set down/

Ok, fair enough. I'll take that on the chin. It's been really difficult for all of us that know her and worked at this shop. I guess I overreacted because I've been seeing a lot of negative comments about her. My apologies for snapping so quickly, but like I've stated before, it's just really tough emotionally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom