Diving instructor faces court over death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-- but how is it that an instructor couldn't manage it?

Perhpas this is indicative of some greater issue pertaining to the caliber of divers we are turning out (and not just at the OW level)?

Perhpas this is indicative of some greater issue pertaining to the caliber of divers we are turning out (and not just at the OW level)?

that's a little scary... specially for people thinking of taking up diving and don't know better...
i mean for example if i decide to take up further diving certification, i know what im looking for in an instructor.

There is so much discussion on how terrible some instructors are and how many agencies have dumbed down the certification.....maybe the instructors know no better :idk:. Maybe they are are not trying to cram another student through for an extra buck. Maybe they are certifying divers of all levels because they believe they are at a level that should be certified to that level. Just some food for thought.

Thank you for the sarcasm.

Would you care how many or how few bodies were piling up if it was your loved one that was dead?

Would you care if you were an instructor that had done everything you had been trained to do (and some), were going through emotional hell and then you get arrested by the police?

:w-t-f: Where do you see sarcasm?

Would you care if you were an instructor that had done everything you had been trained to do (and some), were going through emotional hell and then you get arrested by the police?

And does this question not just confirm what I have said? The Instructor was not sufficiently trained to keep the diver safe? I am saying this in your scenario and not the topic of this thread.

Very sorry, I didn't refresh fast enough, was still typing when you posted.

I was referring to vladimir's sarcasm.

A manslaughter charge seems rather light punishment against an instructor who takes a student out on an introductory dive (DSD I assume) over-weighted and with a malfunctioning regulator and furthermore is not able to intervene on the student's behalf and as a result the student dies.

Gotta remember that the prosecutors are building a case and what they are releasing to the media can be far far from the truth of what actually happened. They can "allege" to the nth degree often in attempts to "convict" their target prior to the trial.
The defense team is holding their cards to their chest until the trial.

A manslaughter charge seems rather light punishment against an instructor who takes a student out on an introductory dive (DSD I assume) over-weighted and with a malfunctioning regulator and furthermore is not able to intervene on the student's behalf and as a result the student dies.

I am not sure what you are suggesting as an alternative. I assume Qd is a common law jurisdiction, so the only charge which could made which would be more serious is murder. That would require actual intent to kill or cause GBH on the part of the instructor, and that seems pretty far fetched.

Rest assured, the maximum sentence for manslaughter in most common law jurisdictions (again, assume Qd too, but don't know for sure) is life imprisonment.

Sorry, if I came on strong, but I hate armchair experts looking at the Criminal Justice system, slapping the table and saying that's not enough!

The proof is in the pudding. Since 2002, the number of deaths and accidents in aust have been reduced significantly. Compare them to the US ratio of dives. there is an enormous difference.

Where does one get those statistics?

Not disputing what you said....just curious.

The words "significant" and "enormous" are a wee bit vague. It's the engineer in me.

:idk:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom