Diving in va beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bryant Law

Registered
Reaction score
I am thinking about starting lessons at Lynnhaven dive center and I have my own boat (18' trophy) but from what I have been reading the diving in va Beach is not good. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

My brother lives there and says you're looking at long charter boat rides out-- 2-4 hours? Just what I heard. I would imagine you would get little visibility attempting shore dives and the surf can be high--having been there often swimming as a kid.

I am a new diver as well and I have no idea of the conditions near lynnhaven inlet. That said, I see no reason not to learn to dive there. You have a boat and, presumably, a trailer so you can go find the type of diving you might enjoy. If you desire tropical reef type diving you will have to tow a little further.

I made 10 dives last summer after finishing my OW and I have found each to be valuable for skill building and I have seen several interesting sites.

I would encourage you to go ahead and learn, then use your boat to find some nice sites. As much as I am looking forward to diving in the fancy places that many on here frequent, I am enjoying building skills and exploring the lakes in my area. the southern end of Lake Michigan has a lot of shipwrecks, some of which are very shallow, that I have begun exploring with my boat and my dive buddy.

I say get in the water, learn your skills, find a couple of local buddies who know some of the sites and go dive.

cheers,
Jerry

No worse than here in NJ. And, I prefer diving in NJ to anywhere else!!!
If you get comfortable with intermitent vis and current - there are some good wrecks there!

Diving here is fine just not the vis of the southern regions some days it is total crap 2-4 ft other days it is wide open. I personally feel you will be a better diver learning here in bad or reduced viz rather than learning in the cristal blue waters and moving up to this...... as far as the boat size your fine fust have to pick your days and pay close attention to the forecast. There is plunty of stuff to hit

Thanks for the encouragement I hope that you will be willing to share some lats and longs

Diving here is fine just not the vis of the southern regions some days it is total crap 2-4 ft other days it is wide open. I personally feel you will be a better diver learning here in bad or reduced viz rather than learning in the cristal blue waters and moving up to this...... as far as the boat size your fine fust have to pick your days and pay close attention to the forecast. There is plunty of stuff to hit

You probably know to always have somebody in the boat who knows how to operate it and its radio in addition to whoever is diving and tanks need to be secured.

The diving is good, vis is better south, but....as for numbers, gentile has them in his va wreck book, some are right, some....anyway, make sure to equip properly, its colder, have o2 on the boat, etc. If I were you, I'd get plenty of dives in quarries and on charters before doing private boat dives. That will get you some better ideas before just going on your own.

Bryant nice meeting you yesterday. Like I said, if you need a buddy to dive off Lindsey call me. Rawlins and Miss Lindsey should be your main focus this season. Once you are comfortable in the water, then take your boat out.

Randy

It was really good meeting you too. I took your advise and went to see the doctor and unfortuneatly I have been disqual'd from diving. Thank you very much for taking the time to talk to me and providing the sound advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom