Diving in Uk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bretagne, vous avez reason! I have never dived that coast but judging by the rugged nature I guess there is some good underwater stuff there. The channel isles (or iles de manche if you must) are generally well regarded so I think Brittany should be good too. I love the area around St Malo and have often thought about a dive trip but never yet found the time. The food is good the area is nice and so its worth a visit just for that. The D Day wrecks are another feature of Northern France worth a trip, but vis can be poor and again it is something to do in high summer. There is a boat (White Horse) runs out to Normandy from Weymouth (150mi to London).
While we are on the subject of the north European coast there are some good sites on the German coast as well.
Chris

Mate, One you've done it dry you will never want it wet again. Not sure about the missus though.....

Hi @ all!
This is really an interesting thread, 'caus we're going to Cornwall for summer holiday this year and I'm curious what diving will be like.
You're talking about dry or wet suits... What temperature (esp. in the water) do we have to expect at the end of July. I'm not sure at the moment, whether to bring my drysuit or not...
Anybody around, who dived at Cornwall and the Bretagne and can compare both?

Cornwall is some of the best diving for viz and sea life in the UK. In the summer the sea might get as high as 15C. Drysuit if you have it is better - can be chilly on the boat ride out and back..

Traffic is awfull and parking a nightmare. Penzance is main centre for diving, but other places are good just fewer facilities. North coast is not dived much but can be good. Dived with these guys: http://www.undersea.co.uk/ and they are OK. Might be others that are better but I can say that this company are good and offer individual places.

There is a camping site nearby if that is your thing. Last time we were there the hotels in the area were a bit poor...

Have a nice trip.
Chris

BTW guys, there is a small island somewhere to the west of you that has some of the best coldwater diving in Europe.

It's called Ireland, where we dive the green and drink the black!

Seadeuce

Yes sometimes really that HIGH. Devon and Cornwall (and western Ireland) are not that cold in winter due to the Gulf Stream. With a dry suit you can dive all year round if the viz and wind let you.
Seadeuce is right Ireland is good. I like Baltimore and the Skelligs. Last trip to Baltimore the viz was nil and we only did one dive - waste of time and money. However, it is a lovely place and great food.
Mariov - you getting the picture? Its good here when its good, but unreliable...
Chris

15C :D ....... The lowest i have ever experience here in OzLand is 25C and its was very confie with a wetsuit.

Damn need to find money for a dry suit

:11:

Pothkerris in Cornwall is fantastic but there are some other great locations, You must dive on the Manacles reef, Amazing colour and sea life! :wink:

I just came out of a lake in SE England today, water temp 14c, Viz - was 3m then went down to 0m when some useless dive school (I won't bother mentioning them by name as they had no students and came to play with their DPVs on their own) stirred everything up.
dived in 5mm long and 5mm overshorty, hood and gloves, TOASTY :11: , I'd still prefer my drysuit though :wink:

Anyway have a great time in the UK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom