Diving in Uk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mariov

Registered
Reaction score
Hey divers

I currently live in Australia but i am moving to Uk in 5 months . Whats diving in Uk like? I know the water much be cold but are they a lot of people diving in Uk and i really hope there are as i need to make some new friends :wink: .

Cheers,

Mario

mariov:
Hey divers

I currently live in Australia but i am moving to Uk in 5 months . Whats diving in Uk like? I know the water much be cold but are they a lot of people diving in Uk and i really hope there are as i need to make some new friends :wink: .

Cheers,

Mario
Hi there, you will find a lot of people who dive here in the UK. Yes, it does get cold, the visibility is often not that great.

Where in the UK are you moving to ?

Also try a post in the UK wreck Ferrets section here on the board.

Welcome (in advance) to the UK

Hoppy

I feel so welcome already :D

I will be moving into London in Sep so once i get myself a job (can anybody help :wink: ) i will start looking into diving !!!

How about dives close to Uk ? Spain , France and so on (not very far away ) ? Are they any good?

So many questions , sorry !
:wink:

Hi there.

IMHO the best UK diving is Scotland. The best English diving is Devon & Cornwall. From London the nearest is Brighton where there are 3 BSAC clubs plus a good wreck and technical diving community. Try www.witteringdivers.co.uk for individual trips they are a pretty good shop. Sussex diving is pretty good in the high summer when the viz clears, but can be dire at other times. Buy before you go "Dive Sussex" from underwater publications if you can and this will give you some good wrecks to daydream about. My old friends at Brighton BSAC will make you welcome if you want to join a club and they have a hard boat and regular dives.
France and Spain are not as good as you might think as the Med is largely devoid of life. There are a few nature reserves that are worth a visit. Estartit in Spain is one. If you are into wrecks we have a big one here off the Italian coast but you need trimix. There is another cracker in Cyprus as well. Travel from the UK can be cheap out of season and the Balearic Islands (Spain) are worth a visit.
Please please though take the time to visit Oban in Scotland. Look up www.puffin.org.uk they are good and take individuals. This is some of the best diving in the world and I have very fond memories of my visits there..

Best
Chris

mariov:
How about dives close to Uk ? Spain , France and so on (not very far away ) ? Are they any good?

First things first if you don't ask you get to find out , so ask away !

You might think about Malta or Gozo as well, some good wrecks Um el Faroud etc. Scenic dives off Gozo.

Hope that helps.

From London, your best bet for weekend diving is the south coast - generally speaking the further west you go the better the visibility. There are loads of boats, some better than others going out from the various ports - Littlehampton, Poole, Weymouth, Falmouth, Plymouth are all good sites with wrecks in most depths from novice 20m stuff to deep gas diving.
One big difference is the boats always take a max of 12 divers, and many of the good boats get booked up a year in advance - so plan ahead, or you won't get where you want to be. There aren't as many 'open' boats, so it may pay to join a club/group until you get to know people or boats ( or they geet to know you, in which case more possibilities open up) There almost certainly won't be any kind of DM, you'll be expected to sort yourself out, and be up to the dive you've booked for - no one will check you out.
Also, much diving is square profile, rather than shallow/multi-depth, so minor decompression is the norm, longer decompression to uncommon. As such, the boats stay free, and most divers will bag-off from either the wreck or half way up.
I live in the very northern most bit of Scotland, and my opinion is the diving in Scotland is superb, but it is a long way from London. Worth diving the Farnes, Clyde ( expect low vis here) Moray Firth, Caithness, St Abbs, Oban etc etc - but from London go for a week

mariov:
Cool so there is a lot of diving areas around. Great news!
Do you dive with Dry suits or wetsuits ?

Mario
Most people I know dive Dry, except for the odd few who have Icewater in their veins :wink:

Me, I'm a wimp, dry and a weezle extreme, thank you very much.

chrisch:
France and Spain are not as good as you might think as the Med is largely devoid of life.
I won comment on Med, but all french coasts are not along the Med!
Brittany has a lot of beautiful diving sites. And Plymout-Roscoff is direct by ferry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom