Diving in Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in Tulum in late June and stayed at the Sunscape. I also dove with the on-site dive op at the Sunscape. In previous posts I have been against using on-site dive operators as most of my experience has been with Dressel Divers at the Iberostar and that experience hasn't been a good one.

Tulum diving is very different than either Playa or Cozumel. There is very little drift current like you experience in either Playa or Cozumel. I don't feel the water is quite as clear either. From a positive standpoint, the reefs are loaded with fish and turtles. In fact, I saw the biggest turtle that I have ever seen in Tulum. Around 95 feet my DM kept pointing to something that I thought was coral. When I finally determined what he was pointing at, it was an enormous turtle resting on a patch of small coral. I wear a 35 inch sleeve and when I swam over the turtle and attempted to determine his shell size, it was the width of both of my arms outstretched...amazing. His head was the size of Charles Barkley's. Overall good trip but I'd dive either Cozumel or Playa before ocean diving again in Tulum. The ceynotes are really, really cool.

From Tulum you could catch a Collectivo for a few Pesos up to Playa del Carmen and take the ferry across to Coz. There are also dive shops on every other corner in PDC, and you might get some good advice after a little creative Googling. Looked to be plenty of cheap hotels too if you wanted to spend a nite up there.

We were snorkeling / diving off Akumal last week and had only about 25' viz in 40' of water. Locals blamed Wilma. The reefs are supposed to be better off Coz, with some wonderful walls, if they are still there.

Met a guy in the airport who went diving off Belize and said the viz was great, and that's only about 2.5 - 3 hours south of Tulum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom