Diving in the rain +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M.D.:
Wow, thanks for the quick responses.

Yeah I figured the lightning might pose a problem... it would probably look really cool seeing it underwater though.

While we were on the Star Dancer we had a thunderstorm blow through while we were diving. It was in the late afternoon. It became dark and we to end our dive and moved to the saftey stop when we noticed the lightning as we hung out for the last 5 minutes, it was quite a light show and it looked really cool! Also, the rain drops looked interesting from the bottom side of the surface too. I guess I wouldn't recommend it but it just happeneed to us that way so I enjoyed it. Actually I think there would be more danger to those on the boat as there would be to those under the water.

As everyone has said, the lightning and water are not good combinations, maybe they are since they are so attracted to each other, but they are not safe.

This is from NOAA Weather Service:
Scuba Divers

If the boat you are in does not have a safe cabin to be in during lightning activity, then you are safer diving deep into the water for the duration of the storm or as long as possible. Your first choice is to head in and get in safe building or vehicle.
NOAA, National Weather Service
Office of Climate, Water, and Weather Services
1325 East West Highway
Silver Spring, MD 20910

The entire article is at this address:

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/outdoors.htm

Although the lightning is a very grave danger, smoking is even greater and kills many, many more people each year, staggering difference actually. You have done a great thing by quitting, stay that way and dive longer!

Randy

I have several pictures of rainfall hitting the surface while we dive.

I've also been caught in a passing thunderhead as it screamed through the area quickly in saltwater. We were in shallow water and staying under wasn't a problem as our air consumption(even with 80s) was not a problem at the depths we were at. We just sat at the bottom and watched the show. Apparently, lightning doesn't travel far in saltwater luckily.

I have no experience with thunderstorms in freshwater, but I have also heard that our bodies will be more conductive than the water. I've also read a story of a pair of divers who've been hit by lightning at the Mill Pond in north FL. I believe I read it at TDS. I think one of the divers lost conciousness(sp, butchered!) - off of memory.

I always thougt that someone was taking photos (using strobes ) when the lightning hits the water around me :))

Being more conductive than the water shouldn't matter. What matters is whether there is a high conductivity path from you to ground. If you are in the water, touching nothing, then you are "insulated". If your tank is touching nothing then it is at the same potential. Salt water is pretty conductive, but the path to ground is quite long. You are like the birds sitting on the power lines or a person in an electrified car. You are fine until you touch the ground. Then you make a circuit and get fried.

As far as underwater think about this: Do the fish get electrocuted?

On the surface, you aren't likely the highest point very often. The boat is higher and the waves are usually higher.

Anyway, it is all about probabilities. Anything can happen (and often does).

rdharbis1:
As everyone has said, the lightning and water are not good combinations, maybe they are since they are so attracted to each other, but they are not safe.

Actually, they are not so attracted to each other. Lightning strikes bodies of water less frequently than land, especially the oceans, according to this study by NASA.

If you can get to a safe place, do so. But if the choice is between sitting on a boat or diving at 30 feet, I'll take the underwater option. Lightning has a very strong tendency to strike the highest relative object, and when you are sitting on a boat on open water, what is the highest object?

M.D.:
Wow, thanks for the quick responses.

Yeah I figured the lightning might pose a problem... it would probably look really cool seeing it underwater though.

Thanks to the exsmokers. Any advice or encouragement really helps.

Now . . . I need to get a dive in, it's the start of a new season (I don't dive dry.....yet)

It's good to see someone else on this board from Barrie! What do mean the 'start of the season' I dove the Morrison on May 7 (wet). It was a balmy 41F:)

I dived in Lake Tahoe during a heavy thunderstorm with hail. It was one of the most interesting dives I've made. We could see the hail stones pierce the surface, sometimes going as deep as a foot or so. The only bad part was getting into my wetsuit inside the restroom. The plastic corrugated roof made the hail sound like the World was coming to an end. I went to a Kiss concert once. The hail was louder!

Back
Top Bottom