Diving in the Dominican Republic [Photos]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice shots Brandon! I noticed the 81 degree water on your computer. I bet that was nice. I love diving in a 3mm wetsuit with very little weight and no hood...it's such a freeing feeling.

It was SO nice. I can get addicted to the lack of lead and thermal protection.

VERY nice Brandon!

But you should have taken me!!:D
Looks to me like you had a great time!

Thanks for sharing!

Well Jim, become a peering coordinator for some ISP/Content Provider/Eyeball Network and start attending NANOG's :wink:... or a network engineer :p

I had a blast and I wish I could dive more while im here :(

Brandon,

Sure looks like some nice diving without all the coldwater gear. I have a question regarding your comptuer; can you give me a quick tour of each value?

TNK ? No Stop? RBT? MB L0? S0:07.12? N2? I do understand the other values 02 21% PSI etc...

Thanks,

MG

TNK ? No Stop? RBT? MB L0? S0:07.12? N2?

TNK: How full your tank is on a percentage scale, note however I didn't recalibrate the computer for 3000psi being full, and it is currently set as 3400psi being full. (hooray for hot caribbean fills)

No Stop: How much dive time is left until a decompression stop would be required.

RBT: Remaining Bottom Time, calculated

MB L0: Its the setting for how conservative the computer will be. L0 is the least conservative.

S00:00.00: thats an elapsed time since leaving the surface.

N2: Nitrogen loading bar on a percentage scale.

My dive profiles made me realize how easy it can be when diving in the caribbean w/out a rushed boat to run out of no stop time. Warm water, here 50-70 fsw constantly, and all kinds of cool stuff with no push from the boat to be up in 45 min.

[Note] If anyone cares the time is not reset to local (Atlantic) time, so add 4 hours to the times on the screen for the time of day while diving.

Hi Brandon,

Very nice pics. How did you like Caribbean Divers? I'm heading to Boca Chica in
March and was planning on diving there. I believe there is also Treasure Divers
located there. Any comments on the dive operation, dive sites or general impressions
of the area would be much appreciated.

Thanks

As this was my first carribean diving experience I will note my observations for you.

* VERY lax on PADI procedures, medical form especially... oh and as a DM I was the highest rated diver on the dives and only pro. A german whom I was informed was a rescue diver was the guide.
* No working GPS, there was about 2-3 on the counter in the shop but apparently none worked so dive sites were more of a "this looks good... right?". On the second dive we did end up finding the wreck but more than half way through the dive which limited exploration time more than I would have preferred. As it was my first time seeing a wreck.
* Very friendly staff and did well in accommodating me, especially since it was a last minute plan change to dive there. Markus does run a friendly shop.
* Rental BC (all I needed aside from fins) was in decent shape, inflator was leaking some but no big deal.

All that being said, if I was in the area again I would dive there.

As this was my first carribean diving experience I will note my observations for you.

* VERY lax on PADI procedures, medical form especially... oh and as a DM I was the highest rated diver on the dives and only pro. A german whom I was informed was a rescue diver was the guide.
* No working GPS, there was about 2-3 on the counter in the shop but apparently none worked so dive sites were more of a "this looks good... right?". On the second dive we did end up finding the wreck but more than half way through the dive which limited exploration time more than I would have preferred. As it was my first time seeing a wreck.
* Very friendly staff and did well in accommodating me, especially since it was a last minute plan change to dive there. Markus does run a friendly shop.
* Rental BC (all I needed aside from fins) was in decent shape, inflator was leaking some but no big deal.

All that being said, if I was in the area again I would dive there.

Some dive operations are better then others. But it's not only in Dominican Republic. But I am pretty sure you can find great shops that follow all the rules, take care about the diving equipment and have qualified stuff.

Well my problem is the shop I had made plans with over a month out that confirmed numerous times, just decided to be closed instead that Saturday. So I had to take $100 worth of cab rides just to make it to another dive shop. By that time I didn't even care, in the end I knew I would be safe and was running out of opportunities.

Finally got off my lazy butt....

Put up the Video from the dive on YouTube (and edited it too).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhpwl9gsEJI

Sorry its late and im not remembering how to embed the video... granted it looks like YouTube is still "processing" it. If its not ready yet give it a try later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom