Diving in Tampa Area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let us know when your coming.

We dive Spanish Rocks often when the conditions are right. It's a nice shore dive about 35 minutes away. I live 10 minutes from DeSoto (St.Pete Beach).

We will be there Oct. 9th-14th. While I've been to Florida a number of times, it will be my first trip to the west coast and I'm looking for inexpensive activities for the family, so non-scuba suggestions are appreciated as well. BTW, what's at Spanish Rocks?

It's a shore dive off of Anna Maria Island.

There is a nice little reef/formation spread out at 75 yards off the shore, and and a 2nd set at a 125 yards.

Both areas have loads of life on them. We have seen turtles, nurse sharks, rays, grouper, etc...there.

When the viz is right it gets crowded in the small parking lot. Typically we try to arrive around 8 to avoid the crowds.

It's an easy, fun dive.

It's a shore dive off of Anna Maria Island.

There is a nice little reef/formation spread out at 75 yards off the shore, and and a 2nd set at a 125 yards.

Both areas have loads of life on them. We have seen turtles, nurse sharks, rays, grouper, etc...there.

When the viz is right it gets crowded in the small parking lot. Typically we try to arrive around 8 to avoid the crowds.

It's an easy, fun dive.

Sounds great...hmm...decisions, decisions.

My family and I trade off between going to Fort De Soto beach where the water is great for body surfing and boogie boards, (and pets) and Ana Maria Island just a skip south where there are actual reefs within swimming distance. At Coquina beach on the Island, you can snorkel a reef not 75' from the snack bar! (plan for a morning 2 hours after high tide for your family to enjoy) and Spanish Rocks farther north on the Island you can dive. I don't know if the Regina is still viewable - it's also on the Island just north of cortez bridge. I'm always up for a beach dive so I'll check later for your post. Good luck! Fort De Soto is the BEST campground for nature/water lovers!

i would defiently like to get together for some shark teeth hunting in venice. We have been having really good results there lately. Found a couple of nice megs the other day.

If you want to take a charter, my friend does one out of Ozona (about 30-45 min north of Desoto). You can do something like Veterans Reef (40'ish), or Sheridan/Blackthorn (about 80'ish). He usually gets $100-$150 depending on the number of tanks and where you go. I'd be more then willing to go down with you if you need a buddy. I've seen Goliath Groupers, Rays, Nurse and Reef Sharks, Barracuda's, Turtles and all kinds of life at these places.

Also, you can do spear fishing, and the restaurant at the docks where his boat is will cook it up for you.

i would defiently like to get together for some shark teeth hunting in venice. We have been having really good results there lately. Found a couple of nice megs the other day.

Great! I will be available to dive anytime between Oct. 9th-14th. What day would work best for you?

If you want to take a charter, my friend does one out of Ozona (about 30-45 min north of Desoto). You can do something like Veterans Reef (40'ish), or Sheridan/Blackthorn (about 80'ish). He usually gets $100-$150 depending on the number of tanks and where you go. I'd be more then willing to go down with you if you need a buddy. I've seen Goliath Groupers, Rays, Nurse and Reef Sharks, Barracuda's, Turtles and all kinds of life at these places.

Also, you can do spear fishing, and the restaurant at the docks where his boat is will cook it up for you.

Okay...couldn't get the multi-quote to work for some reason.

Anyway, that sounds like fun...I'll be sure to keep that in mind. BTW, what's the name of your friends outfit?

...looking for inexpensive activities for the family, so non-scuba suggestions are appreciated as well.

You can rent canoes/kayaks at Ft. DeSoto and there is an eco-tours outfit that sets up shop along the roadside just before you get to the campground entrance. Never went out with them but I see them every time I stop to watch the sunset on the weekends. They seem to stay pretty busy. There are also some very nice nature trails but mosquitos are bad right now with all the rain we've had lately. The Ft. DeSoto North Beach was voted best in the nation a few years ago, and it keeps getting better. I swim there at least once a week and never had any problem with sharks in the 38 years I've been going out there. You can also take the ferry out to Egmont Key and snorkel the submerged ruins on the western side, or walk the Ft. Dade ruins at the north end of the island and visit the lighthouse.

Hey all, I really appreciate the advice found here and am looking forward to meeting some of you to go diving. I've actually started a new thread though to make the opportunity more visible to others. Please visit it here and post up if you are interesting in meeting to go diving for shark's teeth at Venice beach.

THANKS!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom