Diving in Tampa Area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glbtrekker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to be camping at Fort Desoto Park in a couple of months and was hoping to do some diving in the local area while there. I've just received my OW and will need an experience that would be appropriate for my lack of experience. I would like to dive in the ocean if possible, and will need a good buddy. Plus, I would like to stay within an hour or so of the area as the family will be with me and I don't won't to spoil their entire day...any suggestions or anybody want to go diving?

I'm going to be camping at Fort Desoto Park in a couple of months and was hoping to do some diving in the local area while there. I've just received my OW and will need an experience that would be appropriate for my lack of experience. I would like to dive in the ocean if possible, and will need a good buddy. Plus, I would like to stay within an hour or so of the area as the family will be with me and I don't won't to spoil their entire day...any suggestions or anybody want to go diving?
I believe it is just semantics, but please clear up the confusion...

Do you mean you want to dive the Gulf of Mexico or do you want to dive the Atlantic Ocean. Either is doable, but it will take about 4 hours one way to get from Tampa Bay to the East coast of Florida

Sorry for the confusion...I would like to make a salt-water dive vs. a fresh-water dive. My only experience diving has been either in a quarry or an aquarium and I'm ready for something different. :D Having said that, it will need to be in the Gulf due to location. Thanks.

Thanks for clearing that up... Now, you are looking at the beginning of October, or the end of October? The reason I ask this question is that the Gulf temperatures begin to drop at the end of October... Not just a little... They can go from lower 80s at the beginning of October to the lower 70s/upper 60s toward the end of October. By Thanksgiving shore temps are around 64 F and deep temps can reach the 50s

If you will be here toward the beginning of October, I suggest a meet-n-greet with other ScubaBoard members at Venice beach for some shark tooth hunting (don't worry, these teeth are over a million years old). Your family will enjoy hanging out on the beach and you will have memories to take home as well as cool "toys" for the kids (If you find enough of them, you can give them away at Halloween and be the coolest family in your neighborhood) VB is about 45 miles from Desoto, but it is Interstate driving and we can direct you right in.

Be aware, Tampa Bay itself is the 3rd most shark infested waters in the world. No one dives the Bay. We dive the Gulf of Mexico to the north or south of the bay.

Let us know the time frame and we can suggest additional options for diving the area...

You know that sounds interesting, I'd love to do a meet and greet With some of the locals to do some shore diving. Other suggestions are great as well and I'll be in the area Oct. 9th - 14th. BTW, we plan on spending some time at the beaches at Fort Desoto and your response raised two questions. First will it be warm enough for the family to go to the beach? And also, if Fort Desoto is in the Bay, what about sharks at the beach area?

To my knowledge, no shark attacks have ever been recorded off the beaches of Ft. Desoto. Desoto was there to protect the bay from entry. The channels through the bay and under the Skyway bridge often go deeper than 80' and are known to be home to Hammerheads, Bulls and other shark species. The grounds south of the bay (Palmetto) have natural marsh and protected areas where the sharks have their babies. In those areas we have seen fins break the surface in numbers. In the Desoto area I have never seen a shark or heard of an attack

That time in October the water temps should be in the upper 70s. Cold for some people, but not too cold. Post for a get-together in mid September. I'm sure we can get some tooth hunters out to have a good day at the beach with fellow SB members

That time in October the water temps should be in the upper 70s. Cold for some people, but not too cold. Post for a get-together in mid September. I'm sure we can get some tooth hunters out to have a good day at the beach with fellow SB members

Thanks CoolTech, I will post about a get-together in a few weeks.

To my knowledge, no shark attacks have ever been recorded off the beaches of Ft. Desoto. Desoto was there to protect the bay from entry. The channels through the bay and under the Skyway bridge often go deeper than 80' and are known to be home to Hammerheads, Bulls and other shark species. The grounds south of the bay (Palmetto) have natural marsh and protected areas where the sharks have their babies. In those areas we have seen fins break the surface in numbers. In the Desoto area I have never seen a shark or heard of an attack

Not too sure about attacks, but I know from personal experience that the beaches out at Desoto have a HEALTHY shark population as I fish that area extensively. I have seen six foot plus bulls swim right past us fishing the mouth of where the channel heads out on the St. Pete side. Be aware and you will be fine.

We are heading down to Venice this weekend to find some teeth. Looking forward to it as it sounds really neat.

Chris

Let us know when your coming.

We dive Spanish Rocks often when the conditions are right. It's a nice shore dive about 35 minutes away. I live 10 minutes from DeSoto (St.Pete Beach).

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom