Diving in Raystown?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im glad i scrolled through here before i posted. Its funny that you ask because i was wondering the same thing. Someone had said the other day that there is a sunken dam/city under the lake? I cant find any info on it so i doubt the city party is true...

Check out this webpage.

It appears you might find some bridges but no town.

I think we're discussing this as a dive... Apparently where the new dam is, there is the old electric station and dam. This is a tech dive, no question about it. The electric station is in about 110, and it's 170 in the mud at the old dam. We're trying to get out there in October.

Jonny_Rocket:
I think we're discussing this as a dive... Apparently where the new dam is, there is the old electric station and dam. This is a tech dive, no question about it. The electric station is in about 110, and it's 170 in the mud at the old dam. We're trying to get out there in October.

Look at questions 10 and 18 on that page. Question 10 deals with the town. The answer to question 18 states there are divers that work there that can tell you more about the lake.

Quote:
The Raystown Lake Power Station is a pretty cool dive. The depths listed are about right and it is a boat dive. The lake doesn't have alot of good shore accessability. The Power Station is a good place for training too because you don't have to worry about getting blown off by the weather. Always dark, always cold, but the vis is acceptable for PA. The old dam is still there too, at about 140'150'. I have a pretty decent diagram of the site. If anybody wants it, shoot me a PM and I'll e-mail it to you. Raystown Lake also has a number of roads, bridges and buildings scattered about. There is a dive shop in the vicinity that runs charters plus the marina there rents boats.

This is a direct quote from someone who has dove the power station.

Here is a link to the thread where we are discussing it: http://www.wreckvalley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=907

I don't care what the website says. Did you ever think that they put things like that on their website so that people will be discouraged from diving 170 feet in a cold dark lake used for recreational boating?

I hear what you're saying. A sunken city was mentioned, though. I was just addressing that in particular. A few buildings doesn't constitute a town. It sounds like when they built the new dam, they just left the old service buildings rather than destroy them.

Chill out some.

Nevermind

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom