Diving in Port Charlotte area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stand corrected. I called Fanatsea and talked to Jim about access from the beach, and he said to his knowledge it was ok. I had thought he told me that there was no more access from the state park.

Another, easier, shore dive from this area is red rock reef, located just off sandspur beach. If you can't see the reef from the lighthouse there, though, there's not enough vis for a dive there.

ReefGuy:
I stand corrected. I called Fanatsea and talked to Jim about access from the beach, and he said to his knowledge it was ok. I had thought he told me that there was no more access from the state park.

Another, easier, shore dive from this area is red rock reef, located just off sandspur beach. If you can't see the reef from the lighthouse there, though, there's not enough vis for a dive there.
Is sandspur also on Boca?

Sandspur is on Boca Grande near the pass. It's the last beach before you get to the end (the state park mentioned above to access the Phosphate docks). It's got a lighthouse standing there. Parking is, I think, $1.50. The reef's northern tip is due West of the lighthoust, around 100 yards out. If you can't make out the shadow of the reef, don't waste your time diving there.

So how does that work? You get many? They get you? My wife thought I was insane to try to catch them. Well, insane for that and a few other things, but it seems more sporting than just grabbing armfuls of defenseless lobsters.

Tom Winters:
So how does that work?.
You see the crab, reach in and grab him by one claw. Usually, the hole is tight enough so he can't get you with the other claw. Pull him out of the hole grab the other claw with your other hand. Pull out your gauge with your third hand and measure the claw to make sure they are of legal size. Assuming the claw passed the size test, give the claw some tension, the crab will release the claw. This takes a little practice.

Tom Winters:
You get many?
I haven't been in quite some time.

Tom Winters:
They get you?
The reason you have 10 fingers - spares. Seriously, Stone Crabs are slow. You have to be asleep for them to get you. Don't try to grab a Blue Crab like that.

Tom Winters:
My wife thought I was insane to try to catch them. Well, insane for that and a few other things, but it seems more sporting than just grabbing armfuls of defenseless lobsters.

They are much easier to catch than lobster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom