Diving in PA State Parks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redrum_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
PA Where to Dive Crop.png
PA Requirements Crop.png
PA North South East Crop.png
PA East West Crop.png
Has anyone looked into this further? I have stumbled into information that a significant number of PA State Parks let you dive in the lakes associated with them but its not advertised at all. I'm going to contact them and dig a little deeper into later. (Screenshots)

The key is visibility... Most of the lakes do not have re-circulation of the water - good sources of rivers coming in and out allowing the clean water to clear out the particles, leaf and natural debris in the lakes. So although they may be deep, large or accessible - the issue comes down to viz.
At least for me - most of the cleanest waters are drinkable reservoirs and do not allow diving...
If you find any that are on the east side of the state I would be interested - by the way folks come from all over the east coast to dive Dutch Springs. Not because of the lifeguards, showers, food and aqua-park... (although 2018 you would not have guessed it was the viz that makes it so popular)

I'm going to look into it some more. Depending on how things go I'll probably do some marathon trips and post some updates as do some on site scouting and if it happens some dives.

Anyone know anything about R. B. Winter State Park? As I remember it was very clear many years ago. It lies between Lewisburg (Bucknell) and State College (Penn State).

I'm going to look into it some more.

One other thought while you are exploring - is the Delaware Water Gap Train Wreck - I have dove a few times. It is a novelty and worth a dive or two if it is close enough. I have a few bottles on my desk from the train wreck - normally done in the late spring or early summer - before the boats, after the run-off water and rain hit. There is lots of info on the dive. But if it is close enough for you it is fun and worth a dive.

I feel discriminated---LA Co Certification is excluded from the list of certifications allowed to dive in the parks.

This wound exclude @drbill, @Scuba Lawyer my self and numerous others with LA Co UW Instructors association where it all began in 1954

@Basking Ridge Diver do your duty and educate the masses

SDM

One other thought while you are exploring - is the Delaware Water Gap Train Wreck - I have dove a few times. It is a novelty and worth a dive or two if it is close enough. I have a few bottles on my desk from the train wreck - normally done in the late spring or early summer - before the boats, after the run-off water and rain hit. There is lots of info on the dive. But if it is close enough for you it is fun and worth a dive.

I'll check into that. I've seen a few video and posts on it. Thanks for the info.

I'd put the former LAC certification program well above the current PADI, NAUI and most other programs in terms of preparing divers. My LAC c-card from the 1960s wasn't recognized by most PADI instructors until I got to Cairns, Australia. Not only did the PADI instructor there recognize the LAC card, he called it a museum piece.

Hi
I was diving at Raccoon Creek State Park (near Pittsburgh) 2-3 weeks ago.

The (shallow) 2/3rds of the lake near the beach was iced over. We dove the deep section (25ft) on the dam side (which had no ice). Water temp was 39degF. Viz was about 2ft near the perimeter of the lake, and around 4-5ft near the center of the lake.

The maps on the state park website about buried items was wrong. We found items that were not on the map, and items on the map we could not find (granted viz was limited). The primary item you will find are different types of wood cribs designed for fish habitats.

To dive there the park office sent us a form to fill out with their rules and send back with a copy of our c-cards. They signed the form which is valid for the entire calendar year (ie all of 2018 for us). When you get to the park you need to check in at the park office, and then we just called the office on the way out.

Here is what they sent me for their rules:
Skin diving - only mask, fins and snorkel is not permitted.

Scuba diving - self-contained under-water breathing apparatus is permitted on the lake EXCEPT within 100 feet of the beach area from mid-May to late-September; within 300 feet of the spillway, dam and the dam control tower; the boat launch cove and any other area designated as off limits due to weather, special events etc.
Dive flag must be shown at all times
No diving at night
No diving under ice
All divers must be certified
No diving alone
No spear guns or bang sticks/No underwater fishing
No removal of historical or archaeological artifacts
No underwater cave diving
The Department does not accept any responsibility for the diver's safety, diver's equipment or any hazardous conditions the diver may encounter.
You must notify the park office prior to diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom