Diving in or near Brac, Croatia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I will traveling to Brac Croatia in May for vacation and to see some distant family. I have been to Croatia before, but at the time I was not certified, now that I am going back I really want to try and dive. I have heard that Brac is a good location, but I was wondering if anyone had actually been diving in that area before. If so, can you recommend a good dive center? English speaking would be nice (my Croatian is not that good), but not essential since I have family going that are fluent. Also, if diving is better in another part of the country please let me know, although we are staying in Brac we will have a car to get around. Thanks in advance for any help.

Angela

Thanks so much for the website. I have heard the diving is good in Vis. How deep are the wrecks? Do you know how long it will take to get there from Brac?

angela6571:
Thanks so much for the website. I have heard the diving is good in Vis. How deep are the wrecks? Do you know how long it will take to get there from Brac?
The wrecks that are usually visited are on different depths (from 18 to 72 meters - 60 to 240 feet). Going from Brac to Vis means that you have to go back to Split (approx. 1 hour) and then take another ferry to Vis (approx. 2.5 hours). Unfortunatelly, there are only two to three ferries from Split to Vis daily so you have to plan your trip very carefully and you'll probably have to spend a night at Vis.

MonkSeal:
The wrecks that are usually visited are on different depths (from 18 to 72 meters - 60 to 240 feet). Going from Brac to Vis means that you have to go back to Split (approx. 1 hour) and then take another ferry to Vis (approx. 2.5 hours). Unfortunatelly, there are only two to three ferries from Split to Vis daily so you have to plan your trip very carefully and you'll probably have to spend a night at Vis.

or get someone local (hint: family) to drive you to Vis with their boat... :D

Vis is worth staying over night (1 or more) even if you don't dive on wrecks. It has been a major port for centuries (first safe port when you're crossing from Italy) so it has a lot of wrecks (new or ancient) but it also has some very nice caves (you don't have to be a diver to go in them)...

oh yes, I forgot to say... vis has been closed to foreign diving (and for most locals) in ex. YU so it's still pretty much untouched by tourists (it cannot accept a large number of tourists)

I will have to check out Vis, if it as good as you both say. Unfortunately, my family lives in a small town near Rijeka, they don't own a boat, so I guess I will take the ferry over. Does that ferry that leaves from Split to Brac take cars on it. I know that last time we went we got on a ferry, but we were visitng Pag. I'm just trying to figure out if we will have to leave our car on the mainland or not. Thanks for all the info.

angela6571:
I will have to check out Vis, if it as good as you both say. Unfortunately, my family lives in a small town near Rijeka, they don't own a boat, so I guess I will take the ferry over. Does that ferry that leaves from Split to Brac take cars on it. I know that last time we went we got on a ferry, but we were visitng Pag. I'm just trying to figure out if we will have to leave our car on the mainland or not. Thanks for all the info.
Ferry for Brac takes the cars. As well as the ones for Vis and Hvar. Brac and Hvar are pretty good connected to the mainland (big ferries, several times a day). Vis is the farest (of big islands) from the mainland and connection is less optimal :) (big ferries but two times a day, rarely three times). Those three islands are rather big and my suggestions in not to leave the car on the mainland because you'll need it on the island (public transportation on the islands is very poor).

So we will not be able to do any diving in Vis? Do you require a special permit or is just completely off limits? The caves, can you snorkel or do you just take a kayak in them?
Thanks for all the helpful advice you guys. I'm getting excited about going back, it's been too long.

It's not off limits any more (Vis)... But if you dive without a DC you need a special permit (along the whole coast)

Just slow down to their speed (very slow mentality) and enjoy yourself...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom