Diving in New Orleans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lightning Fish

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello:

I will be in New Orleans at the end of April and am interested in getting a couple of dives in while there. I am certified PADI AOW with 18 dives and counting. Can anyone in New Orleans provide me with information on diving there and what my options are?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Bill.

I'm originally from New Orleans. I moved away right before I started diving, but I still know the area.

There's nowhere to dive very close to the city. The Lake is very shallow and empty, and there's nothing to see there. The river is obviously off limits.

From what I gather, your best bet is to head a couple hours East and do some diving on the Alabama coast, or a couple hours south and do some oil rig diving.

With all the water around the city you'd think there would be some decent scuba to be done...

Good heavens, do NOT dive in waters linked in any way to the Mississippi River. The fertilizers, hormones, pesticides, and other wastes of watershed drainages comprising parts of 42 U.S. states concentrates in there. You've certainly heard of the "Dead Zone" in your area, right? Lake Ponchartrain gets some of that, plus all the wastes from New Orleans as well. Spend enough time in those waters and you're liable to end up with a sex change, or worse.

Lightning Fish:
I'm sure you accidentally posted the same thread here twice. I deleted your first one since it was reported to me.
Thanks! Welcome! And Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom