Diving in NC, SC, TENN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kcbdiver

Reaction score
I am looking for some decent (more than 20 ft. vis.) altitude diving in North Carolina, South Carolina, or Tennessee.

Any suggestions on dive shops to go through and sites to go to?

You can get 20' vis off shore but in the head of the cooper all you can exspect is 10'. I have not dove with Charlston Scuba but they have a very good rep. around here. The hard thing about diving SC is the Weather. With dive sites being out 30-45Minutes thats a long time to be bouncing around if the weather is bad.

Thanks Lady Diver for the info. in case I didn't already.

Swamp Rat,
Is the weather really that volatile around the Carolinas'?

I figured it was always murky, is that true?

Your not in West Palm Beach any more Toto. The weather is not that violent its just not that predictable. The water for the last 4 days has beens seas 1'-2'. Today they say by 2pm its 3'-4' and later its suppose to get to 6'seas.
They just had an artical in the paper this past sunday about diving Charlston SC. The big attraction is the Fish and good vis. We have several artificial reefs here that have lots of fish. We dont have the coral or sea fans pretty colors from what they say in the paper. I cant comment about the Good Vis. But one guys said they have good vis out there. I dive the rivers. But I was hoping to get offshore this weekend. Here is a couple of numbers to local dive shops. 843-763-3483 Charleston Scuba, and 843-744-5641 The wet shop. The wet shop does not do trips here off shore if you want a unbias oppenion. Ask for Ken, Ned, or Jerimey. They have one guy in there thats full of hot air. Dont know his name. Hope this helps. Charleston scuba also has a website. I would come here to dive but only on a short notice with and eye on weather. I would also dive out of Moore head city for wrecks if I did that kind of thing. Oh one more thing we are still pretty much unknown for our diving here and you dont have to worry about crowds.

Hi All,

There are wonderful places to dive with good vis.

Lake Jocasseein SC, can rnage from 10 to 35 feet in shallow depth and is as clear as tap water beyond 150 ft all the way down to the bottom somewhere around 400+ ft. For more info check out issaquena outdoor in Anderson 864-222-1354. Or Foothills diving, Reese Davis, at 864-878-9912.

If great vis, wrecks and sharks are more your ticket. The You have to dive off the coast in morehead city. The are 20 + shipwrecks to dive ranging from 40 ft to 160 ft These wreck range in age from late 1800's to 1990's There are gunboats from WWI and a Sub(U-352) and several freighters from WWII and artificial reefs. Vis can range from a milky 20 ft after a bad storm to 100+ ft. Ussuall it in the 60-80 ft range. Marine life is abundant(One wreck almost always has Shark viewing and not just one or two, were talking 20+ at a time. Big southern rays and the occasional turtle. For diving contact Diver Down Scuba diving at call 757-578-3378 (weekdays) or 757-546-0786 (evenings) or check out their website at http://www.diverdownscubadiving.com

Enjoy........

When you don't know, it sure helps to ask someone.

Thanks for all of your responses, they are greatly apprectiated and printing as we speak.

Thanks again!

kcbdiver

KC,

Are you looking soley for dive locations that are at altitude or just some good dive sites/operators? There are several good quarries in North Carolina and some great wreck and ledge diving off shore (vis can range from <10 ft to over 100 ft at times depending on location and weather). The water conditions do vary greatly and from day to day. As most of our wrecks/reefs are a long way off shore, 2+ hour boat rides are the norm, and on the deep side with 100 ft common it is not exactly novice diving. If you can give me a better idea of what kind of diving,location and time of year you would like to dive I can help you find what you are looking for. Maybe even supply a dive buddy if you need one.

Hey Herman,

I'm looking for both altitude; but, at this point, I am looking at options. I have contacted many dive shops in the area specified, but it's like I'm getting the cold shoulder. I have sent at least 20 e-mails, and received maybe 3 replies. I am attempting to plan a trip and what I want is an altitude/spring/lake/quarry/ or ocean dive around a whitewater rafting outfitter. I know it sounds like a large order.... but, like I said earlier, the more you know.

Thanks for all of your help!

KCBdiver

Guess the problem is that any white water rafting is done in the moutains and there is very little diving that I am aware of done up there. Most of the diving in quarries is in the central part of the state, I live in the Raleigh/Durham area and there are 3 scuba quarries located near me (45 min, 90 min and 2 hr). Any of these are open 24/7 and all you have to do to dive one is show up with C-card and cash. I can get you directions, phone numbers ect for these if you want. If you want ocean diving, there are 2 main areas, Morehead City area and the Wilmington area. There are several dive operators at each. This web site might help http://www.ncscuba.com. There are several links to coastal charter operators that might help you. The travel times involved are somewhere along the lines of 3 to 5 hrs from the mountains (rafting) to the central part of the state (quarries) and another 3 to 5 hrs for there to the coast. Not exactly day trips from one to the other. Any other info I can provide?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom