Diving in Mozambique, help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kassj0peja

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hello,

i am in tanzania at the moment and almost dont have proper access to the internet. spontaniously i decided that i want to go to mozambique as well. so i did not do any research about it. so maybe you can help me.

i have a timefrime of a few months and would love to go diving there. can you please give me a short summary of (diving in) mozambique. best places, seasons, conditions, reccomendable centers, things to see.

i am also thinking of finishing my dm. would you reccomend doing this in mozambique.

thanks a lot

Heya, I'm no expert what so ever, but I can give you my insight from my trip to Moz in June.

Mozambique is known for its abundance of Mantas and Whale Sharks. I was told by numerous dive instructors that in the past, just 4-5 years ago, some operators even had full price guarantee for a Manta spotting, but would pay you back if none were spotted. However, these same dive instructors have also told me that there has been a dramatic decrease in marine fauna in just two and three years. This is due to the unregulated mass fishing (Mozambique is said to have one of the largest natural reserves of resources in the World, which is newly discovered, and therefore attracts many companies whom then also do a lot of mass fishing) and uncontrolled diving. But this is not to put you off, it's still wonderful, just do not expect mantas and whale sharks everywhere.

I saw two Mantas on my trip, one in Tofo and one in Zavora. Loads of sharks (reef sharks, leopard sharks) and other big fish were also seen, plus humpback whales! The whales are seasonal, though. Tofo is good, but lot's of other divers as it's really a dive-hot-spot. Try not to be there during SA holiday seasons, as it's said to be completely packed. Mozambique and it's diving prices are more expensive once compared to Thailand, Vietnam and India (other places where I've dived.) Tofo has a lot of dive sights, and some dive centers like Tofo Scuba are finding new ones slowly (so they have some of their "own" for the time being.) Since you're there for a while, you should dive in both Tofo and Zavora. Zavora was great - it's south from Tofo, and only has one dive operator at a big fishing lodge. They're called Moz Dviers (just google them) and you're the only divers there. You can tech dive there at some wreck, or enjoy all their dive sites. I met many people doing their DMs in both Zavora and Tofo - and don't worry about the quality, it should be good. Almost all dive shops are South African owned and SA run.

I would say that Moz has a great mix of Big fish and Macro fish and very colorful reefs, definitely worth it (especially during whale season!)

Hi,

how is the dive as compared with Thailand Hin Deang or Similans? Want to make some comparison.

funny, i was in both Tofo and Zavora just before the other poster and can give some of the same input. I've been lucky enough to dive in almost 30 countries, and that area of Moz ranks up there with anywhere I've been outside of SE Asia/Australia for it's combination of both the big stuff that it's famous for, but all large schools of fish, healthy coral, etc. But being a macro lover, I was surprised at the amount of rare small stuff there too...rhinopias, harlequin shrimp, dragon moray, etc. Just a great destination. Also, in doing your dm its the type of place you'd want to spend the amount of time needed to complete it..the vibe of the place is great, and it has a lot of backpackers/travelers. I dove with Peri Peri and you'd love doing your dm there...great operation and ownership, really fun place..they had a quite a few dms in training while i was there.

Im planning a two week trip to Mozambique this coming February, hoping to spend a week in Tofo and a week in Barro to do lots of diving. I've done Thailand, Maldives and French Polynesia and loved them. Will this be similar diving-wise? Is there lots to see to keep you interested? I keep reading contrasting reports and reviews of the diving there and I am thoroughly confused :( I've read that it's like diving in an aquarium and I've read that there's not much marine life at all !!!!! Help please!!!!

As I posted earlier in this string, Moz is great. Better than Thailand and Maldives, havent been to French Polynesia. Lots to see from big pelagics, to big schools of fish, to rare macro. Dove both Tofo and Barra and you will love them. If you have any questions you can feel free to pm me as well :)

Just adding a note... I dove in Tofo October 2012 and the diving was great, I was with Diversity Scuba and it was very good, I also heard good things about Peri Peri and personally know people who are happy with both outfits, though the advantage of Diversity is that they have Nitrox and Peri Peri does not. And that is not a minor point while diving Tofo, because typically the dive sites are some way off the coast, and there is no multi level diving - you are in blue water down to the reef (at 20 to 30 mts) and the same on the way back up, so NDLs are important. Also, be advised that all diving is done by pushing semi rigid boats into the surf, and if the seas are rough you will take quite a pounding going in, but I absolutely loved the diving in Tofo. I did get to snorkel with a whale shark during my trip there. Chers

Thank you so much guys!!!! I am now VERY excited and I'm getting things planned :)))))

---------- Post Merged at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Well, I've got one more question for all of you who've been there. How is the food/drink situation in Mozambique? Is it similar to Egypt where a lot of us end up with a stomach bug and all the related "stuff"?? Is it again a case of avoiding salads, peeled fruit, ice cubes etc etc??

I didn't have any stomach problems while I was there...I think if you're just careful as you describe you should be fine. Tofo is a backpacker destination with a pretty good variety of food and places to eat/

No problems with the food either, though I am a seasoned traveller with 50+ countries under my belt so perhaps not a good comparison... best places to eat, though expensive, in Tofo are Casa de Comer and Tofo Tofo. If you are staying at Baia Sonambula you get a 10% discount at Casa de Comer because it is owned by the same people. Casa Barry has a great view over the sea (the other two places do not), though it is also expensive and the cuisine is more oriented towards the beer drinking young South African crowd so we are talking big burgers, big fries, and huge beers. Other than those places you need to watch what /where you eat because sanitation standards do not exist...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom