Diving in Miami and the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kulin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am traveling to Miami and Key West from 7th of Dec to 11th of December. I intend to stay in Miami (south beach) on the 7th and 8th of Dec and in Key west on the 9th and 10th. Can somebody suggest good dive spots (and if there are any must see) and dive shops in these places? And would it be too cold to dive? On my way back on the 11th we can halt over in Key Largo or Islamorda if we can do some good dives there. Any leads would be helpful. Also, a friend of mine will be traveling with me who hasn't dived before, but would like to do an open water if time permits or else a few introductory dives. Any words of wisdom about the place and diving in the area are more than welcome. Thanks!

I will be in Key Largo the 6th & 7th; and down in Looe Key (Big Pine Key) on the 8th - 9th. If you ask me, there is not much to dive in Key West unless you are AOW. Some shops will let you dive the Vandy if you hire a guide/DM, but the reefs in Key West are not nearly as good as Looe and Key Largo. The good thing is Looe Key is only 20 minutes away from Key West (or is it 20 miles?). In any case, it is only a short drive and doable when staying in Key West. I'll be in Key West from the 10th - 15th, but I may drive back to Big Pine for another Looe Key dive.

I'm staying at Looe Key Dive Resort while in Big Pine (rooms are $82). Shoot me a PM if your interested diving then.

I've been diving the Keys several times in the Christmas/New Years season. I dove using sizes from a plain 3mm to a 5mm with 2mm vest. You'll need a wetsuit, but your choice on the thickness. I may play it safe and bring along my drysuit this trip.

Steve

I think Looe Key is one of the best dives I've been on. Never disappointed.

If you have time, wait for slack tide and dive the Old Bahia Honda bridge. 20-25 feet, there are always big grouper and the occasional big shark. Take a knife, there is a lot of fishing line broken off. The little island off Bahia Honda in the channel I've seen everything from Bull Shark, a Hammerhead, a Manta Ray, and the largest Stone crab ever. I make it a drift dive, drop in near the new bridge and float under the old out around island and back in near the shallow side of island out of current. Because your so shallow, no time other than air.

Another easy, safe dive is off the very south tip of Big Pine Key. Go all the way south and swim out about 500 yards and there are some huge brain coral formations. Nurse sharks like to lay at the base, as well as huge snook. Take a dive flag ,there is evidence of prop damage on the tops of the coral, so boats sometimes come in too close. Shallow, but plenty of fish activity. On the way out I've found Batfish, and on one occasion a Sargussum Angler.

Keys diving is phenomenal. When I first started to go to Cayman, I was surprised at how few fish are there compared to the Keys. Stay safe and have fun

Thanks for that shore diving locations Vincent. I plan to bring my kayak. Those places sound perfect for the yak.

:cheers:
Steve

Thanks Steve and Vincent - very helpful.

Steve sounds good - will shoot you a PM once i have my plan sorted.

there's tons of great diving off of south beach as well. grove scuba has the most comprehensive schedule for the area.

Miami Diving Schedule - Grove Scuba - PADI 5 Star IDC

* "Miami Beach Marina" dives are with RJ Dive Ventures
* "Key Biscayne" dives are with Aquatic Explorers

And I have no idea who the other dives are with for Key Largo. RJ and Aquatics are both great ops btw

the only thing bad i will say about the Looe Key Resort -- bring GOOD earplugs -- the bikers at the tiki bar on property tend to get loud especially at night when you're trying to sleep. I would recommend if you want to eat dinner - walk down the road to the restaurant (maybe 100 yds or less???) or drive down to key west.
don't bother trying to get nitrox there but why would you need it at 20' or so?
also there might be a lot of snorkelers on the boat with the divers - just ignore them (unless they're cute), they generally won't be anywhere near you in the water except at the ladders.

RJ Ventures is good & had a lot of fun last time when out with them. Rainbow Reef is very popular in Key Largo.

the only thing bad i will say about the Looe Key Resort -- bring GOOD earplugs -- the bikers at the tiki bar on property tend to get loud especially at night when you're trying to sleep. I would recommend if you want to eat dinner - walk down the road to the restaurant (maybe 100 yds or less???) or drive down to key west.
don't bother trying to get nitrox there but why would you need it at 20' or so?
also there might be a lot of snorkelers on the boat with the divers - just ignore them (unless they're cute), they generally won't be anywhere near you in the water except at the ladders.

I've stayed there many times (can't beat their prices), and yes-you get what you pay for. I thought I got nitrox there before though. The reef may be shallow, but they are one of the few dive ops that frequently go to the Adolphus Busch at about 100ft.

And pizza at No Name Pub is where to eat. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom