Diving in Maui - - Is it good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a day and night dive at Kapalua Bay not too long ago. Great marine life given the fact the bay is sheltered. Fairly sizable lava canyons run away from the beach out into the deeper bay containing lots of moray eels and crustaceans. Rented a UW scooter from the onshore dive outfitter for the heck of it, and had a great time flying through the narrow canyons.

Did you also have to rent a guide? Have not heard of any "just" rentals of scooters here in Hawaii for many, many years. Could you give us more contact details?

KrisB- I've spent a lot of time in the water on other islands and will defend Oahu diving. There are a number of good spots that are off the beaten path. You have to know where to look...

Does anyone know where Manta Point on Maui is? My girlfriend's mom lives on Maui and we are always looking for cheap things to do while there (like shore diving).

without slamming the diving on any other islands Id say that its just as easy to have a bad dive here on the islands as it is anywhere else in the world regardless of what is there to be seen. I personally have never had the pleasure of diving maui but it is on my list of things to do after the may IE, I heard good things about some of the maui diving and some of the dive outfits there..which is really what its going to come down to. picking the right dive op. good luck.

I'll actually be diving Thu, Fri, Sun, Mon, Tue and Wed. I didn't want to dive everday but certainly wanted to take advantage of the fact that I'll be by myself. I'm diving with both Lahaina Divers and Ed Robinson.

Looks like I'll be able to get in just about 13 dives for a little over $1000. Not the cheapest diving I've ever done.

I do know that I'll get in a two-tank night dive the night I get there as well as numerous dives at Moloka'I, Molokini, Lanai and a number of other South Maui spots that are TBD.....

Hopefully, I'll be able to put together a decent trip report.

Sounds like you have a great variety of dives and locations planned! Unfortunately boat diving isn't cheap on Maui, but rarely have we ever felt we've wasted our time and/or money (after well over 100 dives in Maui County).

Looking forward to reading whatever you put together for a trip report! :D

The boat diving isn't cheap, and the shore diving is darned near as good, which is why we shore dive :)

Maui's a great place for a vacation with diving. There are a LOT of shore diving sites with easy access and easy entries, and some of these are the same spots the boats use as second dives. Things that are generally seen as exciting, like turtles and reef sharks, are common.

I've just had the good fortune to go a great many places to dive, and I prefer more color and more fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom