Diving in Maui - - Is it good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be aware that the standard tank for Lahaina divers is a 72. When we inquired about larger tanks for the Molokai trip, we were told none were available.

Hea bro,
I'd recommend coming here, cause there's plenty for everyone. If your posting here, your obviously doing your research, and no who to ask for the "SWEET SPOTS"...be warry of non-residents giving the tourist insight
laytah

Hea bro,
I'd recommend coming here, cause there's plenty for everyone. If your posting here, your obviously doing your research, and no who to ask for the "SWEET SPOTS"...be warry of non-residents giving the tourist insight
laytah
I'd say be wary of residents giving their biased views. I spent the better part of three years diving around Maui & Molokini and made a few trips to Oahu and Lanai. Of these, I prefer Lanai the most, and Oahu the least (by far! -- truth is, I'd rather dive in inland freshwater than around Oahu).

As you can see from the typical tourist guide, one produced locally is going to (typically) be of less value (e.g. the marketing-packed "101 Things To Do on Maui") than one produced independently (e.g. Lonely Planet).

TSandM is right about smaller standard tanks at Lahaina Divers, but you can inquire about a limited number of the 100 cf tanks. When I did my dive the waters were unusually calm and we came up in buddy pairs, not in one group (that happened when the wave action was high on back wall dive at Molokini). Even if you are in a group that surfaces together, you don't want to be the one who gets to 700 psi first (others in your group will give you the evil eye).

Also of note is that Lahaina Divers is a bit of a "cattle car" dive boat with over 20 divers per trip. Although they handle it well, you might not see as many critters if you are the third group through. Just a thought.

P.S. not sure of the native vs. visitor mentality expressed above.

As far as I know, the only dives that Lahaina Divers requires you to dive as a group are the Molokai dives. Sometimes they do group diving on the backwall of Molokini as well, but that depends more on conditions.

about 15 years ago I did Molokini outside wall drift w/ a 6 pac guide in a 25 boston whaler. nice part was no rush as ea diver peeled off as he ran out of air ,so I got a nice long drift dive along the volcano wall out of it.Being last to surface ,I had to wait 45 minutes for extraction as the capt finished getting everyone on board and stashing the gear to make enough room on deck for me to hop in.But I was ok in the waves as we often have rough water diving offshore Hatteras. Riany ,rough water and the little whaler was crowded as hell w/ 6 divers and gear and dive guide and captain. elbows and azzholes everywhere. But the deep drift dive on the crater was extremly cool stuff. 2nd dive was south on the Maui coast. We also saw a whale and her calf, we cut the motor and the whales swam right up to the boston whaler. interesting day to say the least. the capt had this thing about divers peeing in his rental wet suits and was constanting dissin someone who tried to seak it by him.He was like Nanook of the North sniffing out the yellow snow.Good thing I had my own 3 mil suit. So strange I remember it 15 years later.

Sorry, the buddy pairing was on the Molokai dive (again an unusually calm day). A no-hitter for hammerheads, but saw reef sharks and grey sharks.

I'd say be wary of residents giving their biased views. I spent the better part of three years diving around Maui & Molokini and made a few trips to Oahu and Lanai. Of these, I prefer Lanai the most, and Oahu the least (by far! -- truth is, I'd rather dive in inland freshwater than around Oahu).

As you can see from the typical tourist guide, one produced locally is going to (typically) be of less value (e.g. the marketing-packed "101 Things To Do on Maui") than one produced independently (e.g. Lonely Planet).

Think I'd be twice as wary of a tourist who's whole dive experience is 3 dive trips to hawaii and is basing their level of knowlege drwan from a tourist manual.
since it's "trips" not part of living and diving...

Yes, it is amusing seeing the usual suspects bashing other islands, Oahu in particular, based on just a few Waikiki dives there. Certainly smells like trying to drum up business for themselves....................

I did a day and night dive at Kapalua Bay not too long ago. Great marine life given the fact the bay is sheltered. Fairly sizable lava canyons run away from the beach out into the deeper bay containing lots of moray eels and crustaceans. Rented a UW scooter from the onshore dive outfitter for the heck of it, and had a great time flying through the narrow canyons.

Back
Top Bottom