Diving in Malta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bootybreath:
Dude... the `seacard` is currently being revised and as far as most divers here know it will stop or has stopped.

I downloaded a 2-page medical questionnaire that needs to be signed by my doctor. Are you saying that:
(1) this is no longer required?
or (2) we have to have it done once we get to Malta?

Most of the dive shop web sites still say this is required.. I am confused.
--Alex

I dived with mark when I visited with my other half about 2 years ago. Although it was a little too much like exercise to get to the dive sites for me, I was impressed at the facilities etc.

In saying that - I went with a group of other divers from a UK club which used Marks dive company - next time (if there is one) I'd book directly rather than through a third party - it's 1 mistake I'd never make again!

Unless things have changed substantially, all divers must have a current signed medical to dive in Malta. A brief exam can be arranged through physicians affiliated with many dive centers. When I was in Malta for the summer of 2001, the medical exam cost Lm3 (about US $6.75) using the shop's physician. Your cost may vary. As it was explained to me, you can go with an on-island physician or bring a clearance from home.

To dive without a guide, you must procure a Maltese Sport Diving License. The shop I dealt with absolutely would not rent tanks without both an internationally recognized diving certification card and the Maltese Sport Diving License.

To procure the Maltese Sport DIving License I had to submit the application fee (about Lm2 or Lm3, don't recall), a copy of my diving medical signed by the doctor, and a copy of proof of certification to PADI AOW or higher (or other comparable rating according to certifying agency). The dive shop I worked with handled this application for me. As I understand it, the information is sent to be filed with the hyperbaric facility at Luqa hospital.

Of course, I encourage the reader to contact a dive center in your travel destination for current information about local regulations.

Good Morning Everyone and thanks Scuba baby! Who did you come out with? Anyways to set the record straight. As of April 1st. We only need a medical self assesment, unless you are over 45 or have one of the usual ailments such as Ashma, High Blood Pressure, Etc. Dive centers like Moby Dives are asking for Medicals on Open Water Courses. This is my requirement, not Law. Instructors wishing to bring over or teach students or Open water equivalent ratings have to get a medical but now they can bring thier own and do not have to have it done in Malta. All dive centers will do the paper work on base now and not have to send it to the health dept. As for the age. Basically we can follow the rules of the Diving Agency we work with. So for us being a Padi 5 Star IDC Center we can take kids of 10 years old for the Jr. Open Water. And of course except certified children from different countries. All the new changes from going into the E.U! If anyone has any questions just mail me. Got to go to work now and dive the Inland Sea!!!

Mark

I wouldn't want to bad mouth another company in the public forum but if you get in touch with my directly (scubaboard@abbywilson.co.uk) then I'll be happy to give you all the details.

The company's instructors were unreliable, hungover and doped up most of the time when training OW students. My other half & I were the only 2 qualified divers in the group - the rest were being trained or friends of the company so they were a little more careful around us but it was obvious what was going on behind closed doors!

Yes I will contact you. I would like to know who this company is. We get alot of unaccompanied dive clubs who do thier own thing and just get the tank and weights from us.. Its good to know who we have to keep a closer eye on. Most of the clubs who dive with us are organised with great group leaders. But as usual we do get the odd disorganised ones. Thanks!!

My girlfriend and I are thinking of going to Gozo for a week or so (and a few days in Malta) in September. While we are mainly going for the diving, we'd like to stay somewhere with a bit of "character".

I've seen lots of farmhouses etc. but most of these seem to be aimed towards larger groups.

Can anyone recommend a farmhouse/apt/villa that isn't too expensive, but will win me loadsa brownie points when we arrive?

Is is easier to book a whole package, or is it worth booking the flights/accomadation/diving separately?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom