Diving in lake Camanche

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol I agree it was entertaining even for me to read through.

clearly this thread is road to nowhere

Despite that fact I feel compelled to wonder if by "a couple solo dives before AOW," that divemaster didn't maybe mean something like "on your own without the class or instructor but WITH a buddy"? That would be a bit more sense, but who knows?

Despite that fact I feel compelled to wonder if by "a couple solo dives before AOW," that divemaster didn't maybe mean something like "on your own without the class or instructor but WITH a buddy"? That would be a bit more sense, but who knows?

Na, I had another person bring that up too though. It wouldn't make sense in its context. He was signing my temporary cert paper at the time, and I had asked him about how many dives and what kind of dives I should do before taking the AOW. Solo diving wasn't his main advice. He threw it in at the end. "...Also you might want to try a couple of solo dives..."

Na, I had another person bring that up too though. It wouldn't make sense in its context. He was signing my temporary cert paper at the time, and I had asked him about how many dives and what kind of dives I should do before taking the AOW. Solo diving wasn't his main advice. He threw it in at the end. "...Also you might want to try a couple of solo dives..."

Poor advice for a PADI instructor to make. I hope you misunderstood. because hearing that an instructor is advising newly minted divers to try something foolish like that is down right scary.

Na, I didn't misunderstand. I posted on the previous page about the email I sent him regarding my solo dive at Camanche this upcoming weekend. I'm sure if he was against solo diving, he would have said something.

AAAAAaaaaand I disagree. Completely. Well almost completely. If my coworker who I got certified with wanted to solo dive, I'd tell him no. I'm sure my DM would say no too. He needs practice. As for the newbies that come out of training with good buoyancy control, comfortable maneuvering under water, familiar with any potential risks and know what to do ahead of time in case they arise, and can use common sense and critical thinking without panicking under water, why should they not be able to solo dive?

That is what most of safe diving is yes? From what I've seen and experienced, Most of safe diving is not panicking. With common sense to keep you out of situations and critical thinking to get you through them.

On top of that, just because your experienced does NOT mean that you are a safer diver, and it does NOT mean that you can handle an emergency situation. I'm sure more common sense, critical thinking, and not panicking are skills that can develop the more you dive, but in some cases you either have it or you don't. I know of a diver who died because he was diving with gum in his mouth. I believe, it got stuck in his throat. I should look that up again though. Anyways, he died because he had gum in his mouth, and he wasn't a new diver. I also know of three divers that were diving, and one of them had a heart attack. In the end, 2 of them died and one in the hospital due to complications ascending too quickly. Obviously the buddy system helped none of them. One of the 4 was retarded and the other three panicked. In fact the buddy system totally screwed over the 2 guys who didn't have the heart attack.

For all you divers who have a hundred cushy dives where nothing went wrong, and haven't gone through any solo training, would you really react better in an emergency than I would? I've read through the skills section of SDI's solo divers certification, have you? Other than the number of logged dives and secondary air source its basically just a repeat of the OW certification, which I have fresh in my mind. I read every page of that book, and every page has highlights of important information. I eat this stuff up.

Concluding. Obviously its gonna be more safe in general to dive with a buddy. I'm sure there is an incredibly minuscule chance I could get caught in something that I can't get out of myself. Or some new incredibly silent almost invisible jet ski races right by my float as I surface and knocks me unconscious. Or perhaps I get some kind of weird rare physical/mental complication. With odds like that, I might as well not drive people. Or scuba dive at all. Its more dangerous driving to the lake, or to work. I'll take an armored transport to work with my own personal driver, and the inside completely made of bubble wrap.

Ok lets say your skilled enough to handle entanglement on a solo dive. Your buddy's purpose is to provide backup gas to you in the event of a failure that prevents you from using your own gas supply, what is your plan for replacing that backup gas supply?

For this dive? If I decide to swim through a tree and get tangled in such a way that I can't access either my octopus or second stage regulator and I can't ditch my gear to untangle myself and to do a buoyant emergency swimming ascent to the surface, then I will be sleeping with the fishys that night.

In the event of just random failure which would be much more likely (even though still extremely unlikely), modern regulators that fail end up free flowing do they not? Even if it just seized up on me, I could still do a cesa to the surface.

The odds of these events occurring (assuming i'm a diver who can use commone sense) are much less than the odds of me getting into an accident driving to the lake no? Why isn't everyone warning me not to drive over the speed limit and to make sure that I've got my eyes on the road and not on my cell phone?

In the future (because I can't afford one before this weekend) I will have a spare air system.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom