Diving in Kona.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ddive2

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ill be visiting Kona from July25 to Aug 9. Looking for some spots do shore dive and someone to dive with.Anywhere on The Big Island.
Any info would be cool.
Thanks.
Dan.

Dan,
I will be in Kona with my son and father 20-30th We have dives planned 22, 24 and 25 with Wanna dive and would possibly be up for some shore dives too. Give me a call when you get in.
Doug 972-896-7767

That would be great!
Thank you.
Are you bringing gear or renting out? Which dive shop you going with?

Dan 860 705 1302

Two step aka place of refuge is the best shore dive on the island. Living there and owning a boat I still shore dove more there than anywhere else. Puako is awsome, old airport is pretty good. Look up shorediving.com for dive instructions.
Enjoy your visit.
Aloha

Thanks for the tip.
Im soooo looking forward to it.
What is the best suit for this time of the year?
Thanks.
Dan

We are diving with Wanna Dive, Steve is the owner. We are renting gear there. Bringing 3mil suites.

Doug

I'll second the two-step suggestion for shore dives. I used Big Island Divers - great!
Don't miss the the Monday night Manta dive followed by a Black water dive. Out of this world!

Dave

I was there just a month ago and did quite a bit of snorkeling at two steps. No diving there though. Was quite nice. I'll also reiterate what another poster said. DO THE MANTA RAY DIVE. You'll bite yourself if you don't.

Three pictures I took from the manta ray dive.

I went with Jack's Diving Locker. Great operation and some boats have hot showers onboard. (Well, hot water comes out of a hose, but it's good enough for me.) It was well appreciated after the night dive. :)

In 2004 I dived the place of refuge. Wonderful place to dive. Watch where you put your fingers getting in and out of the water. There are urchins in all of those little holes in the lava.

Again I will throw out my recomendation to use Big Isle Divers for the manta dive as they are the only ones (almost) that can follow up the manta dive with an even better black water dive. Also do this dive early in your trip to allow for bad weather. DONT MISS IT!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom