Diving in Kona.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think Turtle Pinnacle is close enough for a shore dive, but it's right offshore
of Jacks Diving Locker and it's a GREAT dive!!! It's not too deep, maybe 60 or so.
It's a turtle cleaning station - dive it if you can.
Terri

sorry to hijack, but-
so what do you see on the black water dive?
isn't that where you hang on a rope in deep water and wait for stuff to come by?
how was it?

Thank you for the info.So its that really a boat or shore dive? Turtle Pinacle

Dan.

Wildcard:
Again I will throw out my recomendation to use Big Isle Divers for the manta dive as they are the only ones (almost) that can follow up the manta dive with an even better black water dive. Also do this dive early in your trip to allow for bad weather. DONT MISS IT!
Ditto!

A pro hawaii video guy and a resident instructor say the same thing...How much more of an endorsement do you need? Camera is mandatory and the more lights the better! If it impresses us, you know it's good!!!!!

Nice videos Drew!

My Manta dives

Dave

ddive2:
Thank you for the info.So its that really a boat or shore dive? Turtle Pinacle

Dan.
It's a boat dive for all practical purposes. I have seen people do it as a shore dive once or twice, but it's quite a ways out as a surface swim, through boat traffic, and you'd pretty much have to know exactly where it is.... basically a waste of effort for most of the divers who come over here. I know a guy who used to surface swim three quarters of a mile to the Captain Cook monument, at least you can see where it is from the surface and theres no boat traffic, so I guess you can never say never. If you have to see a turtle cleaning station from shore, go to the Place of Refuge at low tide, go to the entry point, face straight out and swim to about 10:30 (straight out being 12:00) to where you are just outside a pair of pinnacles in about 17 feet of water (if Seaquest rafting tours is in, they typically drop their snorkelers right on top of it).

Ok. So you have me convinced to do both the Manta Dive and the Blackwater dive.

My question for Drew and Dave are what cameras did you use and what kind of lighting?

I used an Ocean Images housing with two Nocturnal SL50 lights and the camera was a Sony PC120. I used 50w floods, lamps in the lights.

Dave

DSC02670Med.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom