Diving in Key West?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JayG

Registered
Reaction score
A couple of buddies and I are headed to key west next Wednesday for my bachelor party and I have a couple of questions.

One of the guys isn’t certified but wants to take a resort course down there so he can dive with us. Is there a recommended place for resort courses in Key West that will then allow resort divers to dive with “real” divers?

Also what other “Must” do activities are in Key West?

JayG:
A couple of buddies and I are headed to key west next Wednesday for my bachelor party and I have a couple of questions.

One of the guys isn’t certified but wants to take a resort course down there so he can dive with us. Is there a recommended place for resort courses in Key West that will then allow resort divers to dive with “real” divers?

Most of the dive shops will do "resort courses" for non-divers.
Just check with some of the dive shops down there. I dove with
Sub Tropic and liked them, but I've heard good things about some
of the other

Overall though, I wasn't all that impressed with the diving in
Key West. Much better diving in other parts of the Keys.

drink, party, drink, party, drink part, sleep, and start it all over again
the next day. Lots of bars in Key West.

For daytime activities, there are a few beaches and some tours.
You can also take the ferry over to Ft Jefferson for a neat trip.
All kinds of other tourist stuff like the Mel Fisher museam and the
Key West Aquarium. Both were "OK" but don't get upset if you
don't make it to either of them.

The resort course limits him to diving with an instructor to a max depth of (I think) 40', not usually a problem for KW reefs. Pretty much any dive op will do this (Cap't Corner, KW Diving Society, Subtropic, Dive Key West). If you don't mind hanging with your friend and his instructor (and the instructor doesn't mind) then no problem. The reefs aren't that deep, infact many boats will have more snorkelers than divers, so the depths shouldn't be an issue unless you are going to the Cayman Salvager and Joes Tug (and the resort course shouldn't).

KW is mostly a party town that happens to be located at the end of the overland highway. That doesn't really mix with diving, IOW, don't go diving the morning after you've done the Duval crawl. There are a few manmade beaches, and lots of opportunities to go kayaking, parasailing, snorkeling, sunset cruises on cats or sailboats, etc. If you haven't been to KW, every corner on Duval has two stands with guys selling tickets to any and all of this. The show (some would say freakshow) at Mallory Square at sunset shouldn't be missed.

jayg,
welcome to this board.
congratulations to you and your young bride.

even tho there is better diving in the keys, key west will provide a spot where you can get wet and have LOTS of topside activities without driving.

do check out the several museums as mentioned before.
most of the restaurants have great food and there are lots of bars.

if you have the time, check out Kelly's and the flying monkeys bar.
regards,

smokey braden:
if you have the time, check out Kelly's and the flying monkeys bar.

Anything special about these bars that make them worth the stop?
If one of the guys is only 20 and the rest 22-23 will the 20 year old have any problem just hanging out since he is going to be the DD?

jayg,
kelley's is owned by the actress kelly mcgillas (sp?)
the building originally was the corperate office for the pan am clipper ships.
the bar is made out of a wing off a plane.
the ceiling fans are plane motors with propellers.
just a real nice place with very friendly staff.

flying monkeys is on duval.
check out their gift shop, they have lots of neat stuff.

when in key west we always park it and walk because everything is real close.
that way no one has to be a dd.
regards,

JayG:

Aside from drinking and partying, which are probably less expensive, there is a lot more to do. You probably already planned on partying since thats the reason for the trip. Kayaking through the mangroves, its great but actually almost seems like work. Rent Jet Skis and do the tour around the island. This proved to be much more fun than anticipated as the waves were great and the jet skis kept very well. Also dont miss the sunset party every night in Mallory Square! Performers, musicians and vendors pack the square as the sun goes down. Also the fishing charters are pretty awesome and can take you and your buddies out for a half day and gaurantee you catch a lot of fish. All of these can be booked after arriving in Key West as Ive found them to be very laid back and its almost harder to plan before you go.

StSomewhere:
And golf carts (2 and 4 seaters), if scooters aren't your thing.

Can I carry my golf clubs on these carts? : )
I think we will most likely walk so that we dont have to worry about driving.

I am really looking forward to this trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom