Diving in Kauai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a link but it's on the other computer. Hale Kua? I think thats it. Let me look real quick.

http://www.halekua.com/
Nice, clean, private,quiet but not realy a BnB. The first pic that comes up is where we spent our honeymoon.

Don't forget gang that you can always request a DM and sometime even your Captain. Debbie was a long time and awesome instructor for Bubbles Below and now is a great DM with Fathom Five - though she wasnt actually ever part owner. She'd be diving a lot less then right? Poor owners always get stuck in the shop! Eeeek!

The previous owners of Bubbles were Ken and Linda Bail. Linda is still the lead DM with Bubbles and I'd be shocked to ever see someone have a bad time with her. She is an energizer bunny and wealth of ocean knowledge. Joe is still at Bubbles and while a newer DM - A GREAT ONE. Joe is also now captain on one of there vessels. Kaki is sadly leaving island soon but you may still catch her if you are lucky - she is great and will be missed.

Ken Bail is also now part of Fathom Five and teams with Debbie on most of their night dives! A certain experience to not soon be forgotten.

Anyway, no matter where you dive don't forget that you are the customer and most shops are happy to meet you requests for crew and even dive sites with some of the better shops around. Newer divers are sometimes afraid to make requests but dont be - you just might make a crew members day! We love to see posts that remind us of your experiences with us.

Best of island wishes from all of us on Kauai!
We hope to see you in the water soon and share some of this amazing underwater world with you...
Did I mention our Humpback whales have finally come home?

happy holidays

Wildcard:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=164365
The opinion of two local instructors vs one baby diver from the mainland. Take your pick!

Hey Wildcard -

You're certainly entitled to your opinion (you know what they say, everyone has one...) but I have to ask you, have you actually dove with Fathom Five anytime recently?

Your beef seems to be the price you were quoted for a tank fill and opinions based on experiences with them some time ago.

Okay, I'm from the mainland (now, though seven years North Shore O'ahu) but I'm no baby diver. And based on four boat dives with Fathom Five this week, two different DMs, two different captains, I can say that in my opinion, they are a good outfit. Well organized, helpful without being baby sitters, responsive, small groups (four divers each time,) professionally run. I appreciated the fact that the DM was there for those who wanted or needed them, but not in our faces since we didn't.

The diving is what it is, and this hasn't been a great week to dive with a big swell from the South, but that's the same set of conditions any dive op would face. I would definitely dive with them again. Are some local politics or some kama aina thing underneath this?

I like reading your posts about Hawaii diving, you never pull punches, but on this one, aside from your statements about pricing for a tank rental, your bashing of Fathom Five does not square at all with my very recent experiences with them. I recommend that those going to Kau'ai seriously consider diving with Fathom Five (and by the way, a pretty respected and brutally honest local guidebook - "The Ultimate Kau'ai Guidebook" in its 2007 edition - agrees, making Fathom Five their #1 recommended dive company.)

AHEM, when a DIVE OPERATOR STARTS SLINGING UNTRUTHFUL SH%* ON A PUBLIC FORUM ABOUT ANOTHER DIVE STORE, THAT GETS MY GOAT.

Fathom Five crew smoking pot on duty?

When I heard that, I had to find out if it was true. As I expected, it was not.

Tell me, Turtleguy9, when was the last time you dove with Fathom Five? Could it be something like a dozen years ago, perhaps? Fathom Five changed ownership a few years ago as it is. All the crew who work on Fathom Five vessels take drug tests and would not dare light up a joint.

As a DIVE OPERATOR, Turtleguy9, you are not QUALIFIED to post your opinion on a dive operation with which you have not dived. How about an apology post, and a promise to not slam an honest operation you know nothing about?

On the other hand, if you find something fully factual and egregiously wrong with an operation that concerns you, don't hesitate to let us Scubaboard members know. But certainly now I will have a hard time trusting any post from you.

Also Roger, when was the last time you dove Niihau and Lehua Rock? Prior to your slander, I am sure you as a dive operator would not have had a problem getting a free spot on one of those trips this summer. Good luck, now.

Aloha from Kauai!

Back
Top Bottom