Question Diving in Jaco Costa Rica or Tamarindo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyKSue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have access to a condo in Jaco in August - Is there any good diving in that area and if so, can anyone recommend a Dive op?
Also, one in Tamarindo- any suggestions on dive ops there?

recommend a Dive op
The closest dive op (in 2019) was in Herradura about a 15 min drive or taxi ride, in my case, away. Herradura Divers was the op. Not sure they are still in business. Herradura beach is in a protected bay so the water is pretty calm. If it is the rainy season, visibility will not be good as water runs down the mountains into the ocean. Herradura Divers wasn't open during the rainy season. Jaco is big on surfing and has a nice long beach, but found no diving there - did enjoy the week though!

The next closest place I could find was a couple hour drive south in Quepos/Manuel Antonio Bay. A longer trip than we wanted to make. There are a lot of nice sightseeing tours available - as I recall, one went to Manuel Antonio National Park/beach. Visiting any of the parks in CR is well worth it.

Thanks for this info-
It's made me rethink going to Jaco - I also have another option to stay in Tamarindo! So, any suggestions on Dive ops there?

In my recent experience of Costa Rica diving while living on my own boat, Jaco is a surfing spot. Tamarindo is a surfing spot. There is some diving but the visibility is limited. Garza is south of Costa Rica and has a nice dive operation that takes you out to an island off the Osso Peninsula, and the diving is just ok. Don't expect too much unless you go to the Cocos Islands which are absolutely the very best.

In my recent experience of Costa Rica diving while living on my own boat, Jaco is a surfing spot. Tamarindo is a surfing spot. There is some diving but the visibility is limited. Garza is south of Costa Rica and has a nice dive operation that takes you out to an island off the Osso Peninsula, and the diving is just ok. Don't expect too much unless you go to the Cocos Islands which are absolutely the very best.
Thanks for this info!

Flamingo just north of Tamarindo you'll find some good diving...large criters..very large..my avatar was taken off of Flamingo.

Flamingo just north of Tamarindo you'll find some good diving...large criters..very large..my avatar was taken off of Flamingo.
Thank you flyboy08- I'll check that out. We have decided to Stay in Tamarindo - It looks like Flamingo is only about a half hour away!
Do you by any chance have a dive op from that area that you would recommend?

Thank you flyboy08- I'll check that out. We have decided to Stay in Tamarindo - It looks like Flamingo is only about a half hour away!
Do you by any chance have a dive op from that area that you would recommend?
Been a long time, so YRMV...

Been a long time, so YRMV...

YRMV??? I don't know what that stands for! I'm OLD!
In any case, thanks for this. I contacted them for pricing and such. I actually wanted to use them the last time I was in Costa Rica but they were booked. It was in a different area. I didn't know they had more than one location.

Your results may vary...I'm old too, but resisting...:)

Back
Top Bottom