Diving in Jacksonville, Fla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wmspdi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The wife is sick of the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area, the Keys are to far away (a 2 day drive) and with surcharges it's too expensive to fly right now. I'm thinking about driving to Jacksonville (only a one day drive for us) in late October or mid November for a few day of ocean diving.

How is the diving at that time of year? Any recomendations for dive operators that operate Monday - Wednesday? I can dive wet or dry so water temps are not much of an issue. Unfortunaly my wife no longer dives so I will end up with a "pickup buddy" on the boat.

If possible, I would like to dive the PADI Wreck specialty course while I am there. I have the books and video and completed the written reviews so I just need to do the diving portion. That would also take care of the "pickup buddy" problem since I would be diving with an instructor.

Thanks for your input.

I would tell you to drive a little further - to Jupiter - the diving and the experience is can be really superior to JAX.

Jax diving tends to be all about long boat rides into the atlantic b/c the sites are 12 - 25 miles+ out - and you are getting into the time of year that you can encounter a front that could blow out your diving for a few days. Be a shame to drive all that way and not be able to dive, although the springs would be an option.

It is about 240 miles south but well worth the diving and the experience - Jupiter Dive Center can also assist you with the wreck certification (PADI 5 star facility)

Just my 2 cents - Others can point you towards an operator as its been a long time since I dove up that way.

Generally, during the non-summer months Florida operators do not run Mondays - Wednesdays, except for private charter. Also, in the Fall, the only real issue concerning Atlantic diving is the weather, but the offshore wreck diving is pretty good year-round.

An established outfit:

Atlantic Pro Divers

There are no reputable charters available in Jax from late October until April. I believe APD stops around mid-october. Just FYI, APD is an SSI shop.

Ocean is rough and cold that time of year. Jupiter is a great call.

BTW, what part of NE Ohio? I went to H.S. in Middleburg Hts. (outside Cleveland)

Check these guys out. Diver's Den Georgia - Home

And book a dive with Richie Kohler in October.

..and an hour closer! Also, if you are there, go to Amelia Island/Fernandina, you will love it!

I agree with all of the above. If you're coming all of the way down here, you owe it to yourself to dive somewhere nice. Anywhere between Jupiter and Boynton Beach. I like Jupiter, West Palm Beach (Riviera Beach) and Boynton Beach best. Jacksonville diving just doesn't come close. I live near Daytona, and I still drive south 3 or 3 1/2 hours to get decent diving. It's worth it, and you can find operators going out on the days that you mentioned. If interested, we can give names of operators down a bit further south. You're closer to the dive sites and the vis is way better as you're getting closer to the gulf stream the further south you drive. (to a point)

Matt

Actually the diving in Jax is far superior to Jupiter when conditions are right.The charters unfortunately mostly do not exploit the areas that have the best diving due to fuel costs and depths.And the weather is admittedly a PITA at times.

Ritchie Kohler was here trying to find unknown and unidentified wrecks and succeeded with at least 2.They are planning to come back.There are myriads more fish here as well as more natural wrecks and artificial reefs.

The vis last time I was out
(8/5/08 til 8/11/08) was from 20' to 60' in 100' to 160' and temps were cool at 67* to 74*.I see vis up to 100' + at times several times a year.I have 1500 to 2000 dives from Vero to the Marquesas and still love the NE Fla,Georgia and Carolina diving better.

Actually the diving in Jax is far superior to Jupiter when conditions are right.The charters unfortunately mostly do not exploit the areas that have the best diving due to fuel costs and depths.And the weather is admittedly a PITA at times.

Ritchie Kohler was here trying to find unknown and unidentified wrecks and succeeded with at least 2.They are planning to come back.There are myriads more fish here as well as more natural wrecks and artificial reefs.

The vis last time I was out
(8/5/08 til 8/11/08) was from 20' to 60' in 100' to 160' and temps were cool at 67* to 74*.I see vis up to 100' + at times several times a year.I have 1500 to 2000 dives from Vero to the Marquesas and still love the NE Fla,Georgia and Carolina diving better.

If you're offerin' up a boat, I'm offering up splitting fuel!:callme:

If you're offerin' up a boat, I'm offering up splitting fuel!:callme:

Same here, I'll pay for gas to see "the diving in Jax that is far superior to Jupiter". I just don't recall that being the case the last time I was up there. It's a whole lot closer too. Let's go!

Most of the guys who dive offshore here are spearfishing fanatics.There are a lot on spearfishingplanet and spearboard.Some of the guys on Florida sportsman are diving offshore now as well.In general the charters are 20 miles to far inshore to see the better stuff.Occasionally the vis will open up inshore but it is rare.

Everything is up in the air here due to TS Fay,I will be out soon tho.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom