diving in indo in sept/oct?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shirtz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi guys!

going to Indonesia for the first time in sept/oct this year and hoping to dive plenty. also considering RA. just working out logistics as im new to indo and usually go to Sipidan!

has anyone got first hand experience with diving in sept/oct?

any help would be appreciated, im keen to see how Indonesia and RA compares to sipidan :)

o wow! thanks Dan.

to assist in my question I emailed "wicked Diving" about Raja in sept/oct and they said that due to the winds at that time of year they (and most others) don't do Raja trips until late October to April? does that sound right?

might have to settle with Komodo!

I’ve been diving in Raja Ampat in November (2x), December, January, April, and May. Enjoying all of them.

I’ve been diving in Komodo in June, August & December. Enjoying all of them.

We have been to Bali , Bunaken , Komodo and the Gillis is October. On all the trips the weather was great. Indonesia , IMVHO is way better than Mabul and probably better than Sipadan.

Sipadan is over-rated and over-crowded.

thanks guys, sounds like I will have plenty of places to dive. will look further into options in Raja for that time.

better than Sipidan! big call, cant wait to compare!

I would rate some of the best diving in Indo (Komodo for example, not done Raja yet) certainly higher then Sipadan. I did Sipadan in 2007 and although it was good diving, I was certainly not blown away by it. TBH, I was slightly underwhelmed compared to the 'hype'...

It's been a while since I was in Sipadan. As awestruck as I was, Raja Ampat far exceeds Sipadan to my mind. True, I did see hammerheads at Sipadan but Raja Ampat still out does it . . . unless you are addicted to Turtles. LOL

The big difference is that Sipadan sites are in a smaller area than those found in Raja Ampat. This due, of course, to Raja being so large aerialy. Every dive a delight.

And after you experience RA, you will never bother to dive Mabul again.

I cannot compare Sipadan to Raja Ampat or Komodo, although have been to all three and more.
Komodo is about coral colors, reef fish and visibility.
Raja Ampat is extremely impressive with the number and density of fish, taht said some people are disappointed with too often bad visibility.
However I still like Sipadan for the big fish and the large schools of jackfish or cudas you will find. I have also seen hammerheads or zebra sharks you won't find in Komodo or R4. I still haven't found a place in Indonesia where schools of various fish are so regularly seen like in Sipadan.
The main issue witth Sipadan is that due to its very limited number of dive spots, I don't think it's worth more than a week diving (even though I visited Sipadan 5 times, my bad)

A few iconic moments of each area in picture :

Sipadan dense fish schools :

6273330190_ac9caf1f84_z.jpg

Komodo colors and reef fish frenzy :

37402992200_27b99dccee_z.jpg

Raja Ampat fish soup:

8649106228_ce98944be5_z.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom