Advice on Indo Resorts - Murex Bangka or Sorido Bay in RA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thx Cali_diver. Although I’ve been telling her the same thing she feels so much better hearing someone else’s description of the currents - lol. We have our log books of when we did a LOB in RA a few years back but we recently moved so need to dig them out. I’m not very good a logging details of dives but I know I would have said something about currents. Her recollection is ‘all’ the dives were wild currents, I recall a ‘couple’ dives with currents. Funny how memories are so different of the same trip. I don’t want to prove her ‘wrong’ but I really hope once we dig out the log books she mis-remembered the currents (note: I did not say I was right!). At any rate we are both so excited to go back to RA. I was close to scratching it off our list (for health reasons) but now I don’t know if I can wait that long!

I’ve heard good things about the Tribe in Bali so will be contacting them. Never been to Bali but might just wing it for diving and checking things out. My 1st priority was finding the ‘right’ dive resort for us and since I hate to fly we figured we’d stretch the stay out as long as we can. Bali seemed like a great place to do that, some diving and some site-seeing.

If someone tires of Banka in two weeks they've gotta be pretty jaded.

I could do Bangka for two weeks easy. During my last trip in April the one week just flew by.

Call me jaded then after 6 stays in Bangka... :rolleyes:
Just for a comparison: can you name just 3*7 different good dive sites in Bangka? Personally I can't.
On the other hand I'm quite sure it would not be a problem with the variety of RA's Dampier straits and central sites.

Can you comment in regards to the currents? Also if you don't mind name dropping a couple RA resorts similar to Sorido Bay?
It's true some sites may have currents on the other hand there are many where I didn't feel they were currenty because I probably dived them on optimal conditions (example absolutely no current no Cape Kri while it is sometimes considered as a challenging dive). and alike Diana Calidiver, I am also a photographer carrying a big rig. I only had to hook once to face a strong current.
The advantage of resort diving is that they can either select or change the dive on a spot depending on the conditions, not so easy with a liveabaoard.
You can look around these resorts and compare with Sorido : Raja4divers, Papua Explorers, a little less luxurious Raja Ampat dive Lodge which is still great quality (Aircon bungalows) and very conveniently located.
Misool eco resort is one of a kind, the only one in the southern area of Raja Ampat but VERY expensive IMO. You should start with Dampier straits resorts.

Just for a comparison: can you name just 3*7 different good dive sites in Bangka? Personally I can't.
I'm one of these people that likes to go back to the same site with a different lens. Some of Banka's sites are good for wide angle and macro.

I'm one of these people that likes to go back to the same site with a different lens. Some of Banka's sites are good for wide angle and macro.
I like that too, but only twice on the same trip for the best sites like sahaung. That’s why I I prefer to come back at different years/season rather than staying a long time at the same place.

I’ve also had mundane dives on Bangka especially on the Sulawesi side I would have easily skipped.

I would also check out Papua Paradise Eco Resort, just South of Dampier Strait. We really enjoyed our time there before joining a Blue Manta LOB trip. Great food, and service, beautiful bungalows on the water and nice spa. We have also stayed at their sister resort Gangga Island Resort N of Sulawesi, and we much preferred Papua Paradise.

I've been to Murex at Bangka.
I went late November, early December of 2019 in hopes of avoiding the CCC (Caucasian Christmas Crowd) but alas it was a full house.
Not a huge issue but something to keep in mind if you thought it'd be desolate.

That said, I'd go back in a heart beat and combine it with Lembeh.

Thx all for the input. I'll be visiting Sorido Bay in RA, can't wait. Bangka is still on my wish list but RA is at the very top of my list.

Thx all for the input. I'll be visiting Sorido Bay in RA, can't wait. Bangka is still on my wish list but RA is at the very top of my list.
I'll be visiting RA for the first time in December and will be staying at Sorido Bay. I can't wait!

My first trip to R4 will be in a few months. Here's a list I consulted when booking a land-based resort:

Booking through Blue Water Dive Travel was very easy.

Additionally, I considered Raja4Divers - Home.

Many resorts were already booked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom